February 23, 2019 | 45° F

Knights finish middle of pack at Regionals

The Rutgers men’s and women’s cross country teams ran in the middle of the pack on both sides last weekend at the District II Regional Championships in Bethlehem, Pa.

The women finished 16th, and the men finished 17th.

Individually, the competition proved as difficult as anticipated. Several Knights struggled to make their mark.

With the NCAA Championships next week, this was the last race for many of the Scarlet Knights in the fall season.

The women finished according to assistant coach Jan Merrill-Morin’s expectations from last week in the 6K race.

Not ranked in the top 15 for the event, the Knights placed 16th. The talented competition around them proved too much to make an impact and break into the top tier of schools.

Individually, sophomore Paige Senatore placed in the top 50 overall with a time of 21 minutes and 26 seconds, good for 47th place.

Following her was junior Allison Payenski in 89th with a time of 22:01.

They were the only Knights to place within the top 100 runners at the event.

Freshman Kaitlyn Bedard posted a time of 22:20 for 112th, and senior Rashmi Singh clocked in with a time of 22:23 for 114th.

On the men’s side, Rutgers finished 17th overall in the 8K competition — one place away from the goal head coach Mike Mulqueen’s stated last week.

But Mulqueen also wanted his top-five runners within one minute of each other. This was not the case, and the results show the effect.

Senior Chris Banafato, who finished 52nd with a time of 31 minutes and 29 seconds, once against paced the team.

After him, no other Knight placed in the top 100 overall, although there were many right on the edge.

Junior Chris DeFabio finished 101st with a time of 32:29, senior Curtis Richburg posted a time of 32:40 for 103rd and freshman Sam Habib came in with a time of 32:40, good for 105th place.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s and women’s cross country teams, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Conor Nordland