Knights take second at home invitational

52942086e4b8f.image

Sophomore Morgan Pfaff captured first in the 200-yard I.M. at the Frank Elm Invitational this weekend with a time of 2:04.69.

There were high-fives all around from the Rutgers swimming and diving team following its second-place finish Sunday at the Frank Elm Invitational at the RU Aquatic Center.

The Scarlet Knights finished with 1321.5 points during the three-day event, just behind Columbia, which totaled 1378.52 points.

Army, Wagner, West Chester, Drexel, Villanova, Massachusetts, St. Peter’s and Boston University followed behind the Knights.

“I’m very pleased we fought very hard all three days and performed very well,” said head coach Phil Spiniello. “It was better than last year at this meet, which is a sign of improvement in the program and also a sign of good things to come.”

Senior diver Nicole Scott continued her strong start to the season, as she broke her second record of the year. Scott placed first in the platform diving event with a final score of 295.10, surpassing the record she set last year.

The Toronto, Canada native previously reset the 3-meter diving record in early November at the team’s quad meet.

Scott also finished in second place in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives, concluding another successful weekend.

“It felt really good. It was a bit of a surprise actually,” Scott said on breaking her record. “I feel like I have been practicing really well and I was really happy that all the dives came together.”

Sophomore Joanna Wu, who finished the weekend with three first-place finishes, led the swimmers.

Wu captured first place Friday in the 500 free, the 100-yard backstroke Saturday and capped off the event Sunday winning the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:59.09.

The Kent, Wash., native also finished fourth in the 200 freestyle to round out a strong performance.

“The meet was so much better than I thought it was going to be,” Wu said. “I did really well and improved so much, and finals were so fun. It was an awesome experience.”

Sophomore Morgan Pfaff also collected a first-place finish for the Knights. Pfaff claimed the top spot in the 200-yard I.M. with a time of 2:04.69 and also finished fifth in the 400 I.M.

Seniors Mary Moser, Allyson Perrotti and Brittany Guinee, along with juniors Greta Leberfinger and Brogan Lee also posted strong individual results.

Moser placed second in the 50 freestyle while claiming fourth in both the 100 butterfly and 100 freestyle. Moser also captured sixth in the 200 butterfly. Perrotti placed fourth in the 200-yard I.M. and sixth in the 100 breaststroke.

Leberfinger finished fourth in both the 100- and 200-yard breastroke while Guinee placed fourth in the 200 fly and Lee captured fourth in the 1650 freestyle.

The Knights’ relay teams also had sound showings. The team of Wu, Leberfinger, Guinee and Moser placed second in the 400 medley relay and fourth in the 200 medley relay.

In the 800 freestyle relay, the team of Wu, Moser, Guinee and Pfaff finished in fourth.

The team of Wu, Moser, sophomore Sophie Newton and sophomore Sarah Coyne finished third in the 200 freestyle relay.

“We’re right where we need to be right now,” Spiniello said. “We need to continue to train hard and continue to work on our race plans, and go into the second half of the season with a focus and mentality that we’re going to be great in February.”

For updates on the Rutgers swimming & diving team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Sean Stewart