New members bring success to Model UN

The Rutgers Model United Nations traveling team attended four conferences this fall at Columbia, Yale, Georgetown and the University of Pennsylvania.

Atif Jalal Ahmad, treasurer of the Association of International Relations, said the team won multiple awards including best delegate, outstanding delegate and honorable mentions in every conference.

Though the fall conference season is over, Ahmad said the team plans to travel to McGill, Harvard, the University of Virginia and the University of Chicago this spring.

He said 2013 is the first time in several years the team has done consistently well. He attributes their success to new members.

“What’s making us strong is we have a good number of kids who did well in high school … who joined our team,” Ahmad said. “Also we had very stratified training sessions where we trained these kids before the conferences on how college level is different from high school.”

Students do not need to come in with the skills necessary to be successful because Ahmad said the club builds skills within students.

He said decent public speaking skills, the ability to be persuasive and sell ideas and good writing skills are all necessary for success in Model U.N.

Ahmad said competing against Ivy League schools and coming out with awards is a huge accomplishment for a state university.

“We get to spend the weekend in four-to-five-star hotels, and it’s an incredible bonding experience with teammates,” he said.

By Sabrina Szteinbaum