Online time bank provides more valuable assistance

Letter to the editor

Seniors and the disabled are sometimes incapable of leaving their homes during disasters and obtaining emergency assistance and services. Generally during disasters, emergency services are not available during the first 72 hours, and long distance communication is fixed before local communication. A couple of students and I are researching more information on this topic at Rutgers University for our ethics class taught by Professor Julie Fagan. We are interested in utilizing a time bank, which is an online service exchange that utilizes time rather than money. For our specific situation, a person would put in a certain amount of time that they would be able to help an elderly person or a disabled person. In exchange for this, they will receive something that they need help in as well. This is what we are planning on implementing in the states of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. New time banks have been launched in New Jersey and can be accessed on the web using the name of their county, state and the word strong (ex: Somerset County NJ Strong) or by using the URL http://somersetnjstrong.timebanks.org.

Junia Easo is a School of Environmental And Biological Sciences senior majoring in exercise science and sport studies and minoring in psychology.

By Junia Easo