Duo makes unlikely reunion

529ff473bf963.image

Senior Brittany Guinee transferred to Rutgers in 2011, soon reconnecting with a childhood friend, junior Greta Leberfinger, who joined the Knights last season.

When Brittany Guinee left the Somerset Hills (N.J.) YMCA to join the Loyola (Md.) University swim team for the 2010-11 season, reuniting with Greta Leberfinger never crossed her mind.

“We definitely never thought we would end up together again,” Guinee said. “Especially because she didn’t come until a year after, but we’re definitely happy with how it all worked out.”

The two, now members of the Rutgers swimming and diving team, have known each other since they were nine years old, swimming together at the Madison (N.J.) YMCA before moving on together to Somerset Hills in high school.

Their paths almost crossed when Leberfinger committed to Marist College in 2011, which was in the same conference as Loyola, but Guinee decided to transfer to Rutgers that same year.

It was only fitting when Leberfinger came to the Scarlet Knights the following season that the two would break three school records.

Having Guinee, now a senior, around to show Leberfinger, now a junior, the ropes was beneficial for her as she transitioned to a larger school.

“[Guinee] helped me get accustomed to the new training style and even the school in general,” Leberfinger said. “... It was a big adjustment, but having her here and having a familiar face around helped me as well.”

The two shared similar paths before ending up at Rutgers. Both started their college careers in the MAAC conference and are the only transfers on the Knights’ roster.

Guinee transferred from Loyola to reach her full potential as a swimmer and saw Rutgers as the perfect place for the opportunity.

The following year, when Leberfinger decided to join the Knights for the very same reasons, Guinee’s presence made the decision much easier.

“I transferred in late due to issues with paper work at my old school, so when I was in a rush she talked Rutgers up a lot and I was happy to be back with her,” Leberfinger said.

Since the transfer, the pair has never looked back, helping guide the Knights to one of their most successful seasons in recent memory.

Along with sophomore Joanna Wu and senior Mary Moser, Leberfinger and Guinee set a school record in the 400-medley relay at last season’s Big East championships.

In addition to the medley, both set individual school records. Guinee set the record in the 200 fly with a time of 2:00.17 and Leberfinger in the 200 breast stroke with 2:13.97.

While breaking more records would be nice, both feel there is a larger goal they can reach.

“As a team we definitely hope to place as high as we can at the AAC championships,” Guinee said. “Another one of our goals is to send as many as we can to the NCAA championships in March.”

By Sean Stewart