June 20, 2018 | ° F

Flood releases Cohen, two other coaches before bowl

It took less than 24 hours after the Rutgers football team’s 31-6 bowl-clinching victory for the fallout from the mediocre regular season to begin.

Head coach Kyle Flood announced the firing of three assistants yesterday, including defensive coordinator Dave Cohen.

He also relieved quarterback coach Rob Spence and offensive line coach Damian Wroblewski of their duties.

“I want to thank them for their efforts over the past two years,“ Flood said last night via teleconference. “They’re good men and I wish them well as their careers proceed.”

Flood said special teams coordinator Joe Rossi is now interim defensive coordinator for the Knights’ bowl game Dec. 28 against Notre Dame. The other two positions will be addressed in the coming days.

Flood said the decision allows the program to look at candidates early in the process.

“I thought this would give the best opportunity to look at as many candidates as we need to to find the right people as we go forward,” Flood said.

Controversy has surrounded Cohen since former cornerback Jevon Tyree accused him of bullying during his time with the Knights.

Tyree said Cohen singled him out throughout his time with the program, escalating in April during a study session, where Tyree said Cohen threatened to head-butt him.

Flood said the Tyree situation had nothing to do with Cohen’s release.

“The decisions we made [Sunday] were strictly football decisions,” Flood said.

Under Cohen, the defense allowed 31.4 points per game during the Knights’ past seven games. Rutgers went 2-5 in that span.