Junior tallies RU’s sixth AAC weekly honor this year

For the second time this season, junior wing Betnijah Laney made the AAC Weekly Honor Roll.

Laney garnered the honor yesterday following her third double-double of the season Wednesday at Davidson. She tallied season highs with 15 points and 54.5 percent shooting from the field.

The Clayton, Del., native also corralled 11 boards in a 66-35 win for the Rutgers women’s basketball team.

It was Laney’s third game back in the starting lineup after missing two games with an ankle sprain suffered Nov. 17 against LaSalle.

She collected a total of 17 points and 13 rebounds as she shook off rust in her first two games back Nov. 29 and Nov. 30 at the Barclays Women’s Basketball Invitational.

Now the co-captain is making amends.

“It bothered me sitting here and knowing there was nothing I could do to maybe make a difference,” Laney said before the Davidson game. “I did what I could, I cheered on my teammates and kept encouraging them. I did what I could from the sidelines.”

Prior to her ankle injury, Laney collected double-doubles in each of the first two games.

Before the season, she only once recorded 10 rebounds to compile a double-double. This year Laney nearly averages one with 10.7 points and a team-leading 9.8 boards per contest.

Laney is the fourth Knight to make the honor roll this season.

Sophomore wing Kahleah Copper — Rutgers’ leading scorer at 16.1 points per game and second-leading rebounder with 7.6 per contest — also earned the award twice.

Copper made the Barclays Women’s Basketball Invitational All-Tournament Team Nov. 30 as the Knights went 1-1 during Thanksgiving weekend.

The other two Knights the AAC honored were sophomore forward Rachel Hollivay and freshman point guard Tyler Scaife on Nov. 25.

Hollivay broke out with 26 points, 13 rebounds and nine blocks Nov. 22 against Howard. Scaife averaged 10.5 points, three assists and four rebounds in two games that week.

Scaife recently began to come into her own, starting each of the last two games while leading the Knights in scoring. Her 11.4 points per contest are good for second on the team.

Now second on the team with 26 assists, the rookie said last week junior guard Syessence Davis is helping accelerate her learning curve.

“[Davis has] mentored me a lot,” Scaife said. “She helps me with the plays, makes sure I know the plays. Defensively, [she helps with] getting over screens on the court. She plays so hard, it’s rubbing off on me.”

Rutgers (6-2) has had nearly a week off as it prepares for its final three nonconference games, beginning Thursday against Wagner at the Louis Brown Athletic Center.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow Greg Johnson on Twitter @GregJohnsonRU. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.

By Greg Johnson