Local organizations collaborate for typhoon aid

52a7dc59d28b8.image
Photo by Getty Images |

Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Phillipines Nov. 8, killed more than 5,700. Rutgers students and New Brunswick vendors held fundraisers to support relief, including a new hot dog at Destination Dogs on Paterson Street.

Devastation. Death. Displacement. Since Nov. 8, these three terms have summarized the situation in the Philippines, which became the target of one of the deadliest typhoons in its history.

Super Typhoon Haiyan led to the death of more than 5,700 and has displaced 4 million people, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs website.

Relief. Rescue. Reconstruction. These three terms represent what everyone in the Philippines and in the world hope to achieve for the hard-hit island. While donations and fundraisers have been common practice in many areas around the world, people at Rutgers have also been playing an active role to provide assistance.

Student organizations on campus collaborated to create, “Rutgers for the Philippines,” a campaign that aims to raise $10,000 to help Typhoon Haiyan victims. The Rutgers Association of Philippine Students collaborated with 11 other organizations to raise awareness about the disaster using social media and fundraising events.

Nolan Sucdad, an Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy fourth-year student, said organizations like the Asian Student Council, the Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Chinese, Cantonese and Korean clubs and other Asian-interest fraternities and sororities have joined the cause.

“Rutgers for the Philippines” has chosen to donate all of its proceeds to the National Alliance for Filipino Concerns.

Rutgers alumnus Kevin Canda collaborated with small businesses around New Brunswick to host a fundraiser at Destination Dogs, a restaurant on Paterson Street famous among students for its unique range of hot dogs.

Destination Dogs plans to serve two Filipino-inspired hotdogs called the “sizzle dog” and the “thrilla in vanilla” from Dec. 13 to Dec. 15. $1 from each order of the hotdogs is planned to go towards proceeds for the typhoon relief. At the fundraiser, visitors can also donate cash, food and clothing.

The proceeds from the fundraiser are planned to go to Inabangnons in the United States and Canada, or INAUSCA, a nonprofit organization working closely with affected families and communities in the Philippines, Canda said.

Carlo de la Rama, a graduate student at Rutgers, is organizing a live music night on Dec. 14 at Hidden Grounds on Easton Avenue featuring 10 or 11 acoustic artists. To create awareness about the devastation caused by the hurricane, he also plans to give an overview of the typhoon.

Marjorie Milloria, a member of INAUSCA, is also arranging a series of monthly dance workshops starting in January of next year to ensure relief efforts do not die down.

“People tend to lose interest after a while,” Milloria said. “These efforts have to be ongoing because recovery will be ongoing.”

By Vaishali Gauba