RU tames shooters in blowout win

Entering last night’s contest at Davidson, N.C., the Rutgers women’s basketball team knew the Wildcats live and die by 3-point shooting. During the week, the Scarlet Knights emphasized half-court pressure defense.

Guard Laura Murray and forward Hannah Early account for nearly 50 percent of Davidson’s high-volume scoring with 35 threes on the season.

Rutgers shut down both.

Behind a 15-0 run out of halftime, the Knights cruised to a 66-35 win and their second road victory — already as many as Rutgers (6-2) accumulated all of last season.

Early, who shot more than 50 percent from beyond the arc coming in, went cold from the field, hitting 1-of-12 overall and going 0-for-5 from three.

Murray, meanwhile, led Davidson (3-6) with 15 points but needed 15 shots for it. The Wildcats overall shot an abysmal 21.1 percent.

Rutgers was more than twice as efficient, shooting 45.2 percent from the field. Three Knights eclipsed double-figure scoring.

Making her second straight start and third overall, freshman point guard Tyler Scaife led all scorers with 16 points on 50-percent shooting. She also dished out four assists and swiped three steals.

Junior wing Betnijah Laney added her third double-double on the year with 15 points and 11 rebounds. Sophomore wing Kahleah Copper, who reached double figures in every game this season, chipped in 11 points.

After an early seesaw affair that saw several lead changes, Rutgers built a 14-11 lead with 9:10 left in the first half. The Knights never looked back, generating an 8-0 burst and 18-10 run to end the period.

Rutgers gets a week off before its next contest back at the Louis Brown Athletic Center next Thursday against Wagner.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow Greg Johnson on Twitter @GregJohnsonRU. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.

By Greg Johnson