Rutgers splits invite during play in NY

529beb3c65d72.image
Photo by Dennis Zuraw |

Freshman guard Tyler Scaife started her second game and led Rutgers with 18 points Saturday against Texas Tech in Brooklyn.  

Less than a week after making the AAC’s Honor Roll, freshman guard Tyler Scaife impressed Saturday night in the consolation game of the Barclay’s Women’s Basketball Invitational.

Scaife, ESPN HoopGurlz’s top point guard recruit for 2013, scored 18 points on 8-for-13 shooting in the Scarlet Knights’ 61-52 victory against Texas Tech.

The Knights turned the ball over only 11 times in the game, their lowest of the season.

Defensively, they forced 21 turnovers, leading to 24 points. Rutgers (5-2) forced at least 20 turnovers in all seven games this season, their longest streak in the past 10 years.

But the effort did not come without a comeback attempt by Texas Tech (3-3).

The Red Raiders utilized efficient 3-point shooting to stage a comeback.

Five minutes into the second half, Texas guard Amber Battle connected from behind the arc before a 14-1 Knights run.

With less than nine minutes in the game and Rutgers up 52-42, Texas Tech made two 3-pointers to bring the score within 4.

That was the closest margin for the rest of the game.

Battle averaged 19 points per game this year for the Red Raiders entering the match, but Rutgers limited her to a season-low 8 points. She shot 3-for-11 from the floor but grabbed 12 rebounds.

Sophomore guard Kahleah Copper scored 14 points in 34 minutes. She scored double digits in all seven games this season. The Philadelphia native ended one rebound short of her third double-double of the year, adding four steals.

Junior guard Syessence Davis scored 11 points off the bench, marking the third time the Knights sported at least three players in double figures this season.

Rutgers led 36-25 at halftime, with 12 points coming from Scaife.

Turnovers plagued the Knights in their first game of the tournament against No.15 LSU, Rutgers’ 69-65 loss. The Knights gave the ball up a season-high 29 times Friday against the Tigers.

With 1:38 left in the second half, Rutgers was down 10 before a Copper layup.

Junior wing Betnijah Laney, who sat out the previous two games with a high-ankle sprain, stole the ball from forward Theresa Plaisance before scoring on a layup. Laney converted the and-1 opportunity after a foul from Plaisance.

After two LSU (6-1) free throws, Copper rebounded her own missed layup and scored to get the Knights within 5. She stole the ball, leading to two Davis free-throw conversions.

Sophomore guard Briyona Canty failed to tie the game with eight seconds left from beyond the arc.

Filling in for two suspended guards, Raigyne Moncrief scored a season-high 27 points for the Tigers, adding seven steals and seven rebounds. She converted 15 of 20 free throws in the game.

LSU went on to win the tournament in a 64-62 bout against Michigan.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Justin Lesko