October 15, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers suffers first defeat of season

52a687688b6ec.image

Junior Greta Leberfinger captured two individual victories against Boston University in the 100 and 200 breaststroke.

The Rutgers swimming and diving team suffered its first defeat of the season Saturday afternoon against Boston University.   

Despite strong performances from several Scarlet Knights (4-1), the Terriers (4-1) claimed first-place finishes in 10 of 16 events.

“I am a little disappointed because I think we had the capability to win that meet, and the team that has shown up all year didn’t show up on Saturday,” said head coach Phil Spiniello. “We need to continue to work on the details and learning to race against competition at that level.”

On the boards, senior diving captain Nicole Scott continued her strong form, capturing first in both the 1-meter and 3-meter events.

Freshman diver Rebecca Gross also had a strong showing, claiming second in the 1-meter with a score of 234.52.

For swimming, the Knights’ strongest showing came in the breaststroke events, finishing first, second and third in both the 100-meter and 200-meter.

Junior Greta Leberfinger won both of the events, followed by senior swim captain Allyson Perrotti and freshman Rachel Stoddard in the 100 breast. Stoddard finished ahead of Perrotti in the 200 breast.

“I think the diving was really good. Nicole winning both events really helped us,” Spiniello said. “We had some good things on the swimming side, but overall I don’t think we performed to our capability and we came up short.”

Sophomore Joanna Wu also performed strongly for the Knights, finishing the day with three top-five finishes to lead the team in the individual swimming events.

The Kent, Wash., native claimed first in the 200 backstroke, second in the 1,000-yard freestyle and capped off the day with a third-place finish in the 500 freestyle.

Senior Brittany Guinee won the 200-yard butterfly and took second in the 100-yard butterfly.

The Knights began the meet by placing first in the 200-medley relay with the team of Leberfinger, Guinee, senior Mary Moser and sophomore Morgan Pfaff.

Rutgers’ downfall was its inability to secure more first-place finishes. Following the 200-medley relay, the Terriers responded by winning the next three events in the 1,000 freestyle, 200 freestyle and 100 backstroke.

The Terriers finished off their last home meet of the season with a victory in the 400 freestyle relay, beating the Knights relay team of Wu, senior Chelsea Rolin and sophomores Sarah Coyne and Sophie Newton.

“We need to learn from the loss and focus on our next competition,” Spiniello said. “We need to figure out what we can do better and work on it in the next weeks practice, and then focus on coming away with a win [Jan. 4] at Bucknell.”

For updates on the Rutgers swimming and diving team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Sean Stewart