Targum tips: silent study locations around campus

52a67eb47feab.image
Photo by Yesha Chokshi |

The Gardner A. Sage library on the College Avenue campus is one of several quiet study locations for stressed students during finals.

As finals approach next week, students will inevitably begin to look for quiet locations to study. Alexander Library on the College Avenue campus is always a favorite, as are the lounges in the residence halls. But some have the option of using less traditional locations.

Shane Patel, a School of Engineering junior, said he helped design an application that will show students different study locations.

“The software allows users to find places to study across all of the New Brunswick campuses based on a variety of factors,” he said. “[This includes] hours, proximity to food and bus stops and availability of outlets.”

The application, called “RU Studying,” is a project for his “Geographic Information Systems In Health and Planning” class, he said. The application was created with the help of two fellow students, Margot Lukas, an Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy senior, and Alexa Patti, a School of Arts and Sciences senior.

Patel said by using Mappler software, users generate data that is then incorporated into the application and placed into separate categories. Public users can login to the website and add points where they feel it is relevant.

According to the Mappler website, the software allows users to input data that can then be used to create interactive maps based on their needs. The software can be run online as well as on a smartphone. The site allows users to manage an interactive map, display pre-existing data and upload real-time data directly from a smartphone.

Noted locations on the application include the Rutgers Student Center, Hardenberg Hall and the Gardner A. Sage Library, all on the College Avenue campus.

“The application includes larger and smaller spaces,” Patel said. “It has places like the Sage Library, places people might not think to go.”

He said his favorite place to study is the Livingston Dining Commons, but he may have to look for a new location for finals this semester.

Other quiet locations for studying include the second floor of the Cook Campus Center, as well as the piano room on the second floor of the Douglass Campus Center.

On College Avenue, students can look for quiet locations in the Red Lion Café, located in the basement of the RSC, when it is not in use. The Graduate Student Lounge, located behind Au Bon Pain, is another quiet location. The computer lab in Records Hall is scheduled to be open for 24 hours a day until Wednesday, Dec. 11.

On Livingston, the newly upgraded Tillett hall is also open for 24-hour access until Dec. 11, as well as the lounge on the first floor of the Livingston Apartments in Building B.

Busch campus has various locations, including the eighth floor of the Computing Research and Education Building, or The Library of Science and Medicine, which has its own computer lab.

Throughout the five campuses, some locations students have used to study are not well known. Various classrooms, smaller lounges and even dining halls may be perfect locations for students, depending on what they are looking for.

Parks can also be another option, depending on the weather. If it is a clear warm day, spots along Buccleuch Park on College Avenue and Passion Puddle on Douglass campus are good for reading and enjoying nature.

To help students with studying, all student centers plan to increase their hours until 2 a.m. from Sunday, Dec. 15 to Wednesday Dec. 18. This includes the Rutgers Student Center, Busch Campus Center, Cook Campus Center, Douglass Campus Center and Livingston Campus Center as well as the Student Activities Center on the College Avenue campus.

To see a list of locations on the RU Studying mappler, visit http://www.mappler.net/rustudying/.

By Shawn Smith