UMDNJ merges with University July 1, 2013

52a7d855787c6.image
Photo by Enrico Cabredo |

Rutgers and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey completed their integration July 1 after almost a year of planning.

The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation donated the single largest gift the University has received from the foundation — $12.5 million — last spring, to support the integration of the University and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.

University President Robert L. Barchi said the integration is among the largest undertaken in higher education.

“Combining the outstanding health education offered by UMDNJ with Rutgers’ many strengths in the arts, sciences, humanities and professional schools will create an academic powerhouse that will rank among the nation’s finest research universities,” he said.

Rutgers took over seven of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey’s eight schools, according to NJ.com. The University Hospital in Newark, formerly known as UMDNJ, became a freestanding state hospital.

Gov. Chris Christie said with the integrations, the “real gems” in the UMDNJ system will stand out.

Rutgers and UMDNJ officials spent almost a year planning the merger, according to NJ.com. Rutgers rang the historic Old Queens bell to signify the merger.

University Hospital will continue to serve as a teaching hospital for Rutgers’ new health science schools.

With the merger, Rutgers became a 65,000-student school with a $3 billion budget, according to NJ.com.

The University now ranks among the top 25 research universities in the nation.

By Sabrina Szteinbaum