Hateful speech only hinders dialogue

Letter to the Editor

Being a Scarlet Knight, or just a person in general, there has to be some set of morals, a sense of decorum and, most importantly, good will toward all men and women. This week, however, in the aftermath of a column I will not name, I have seen individuals act inhumanely toward their peers over the Internet.

When it comes to publishing an article online or in print, everyone makes mistakes, but it is up to us not to fight, intimidate or discriminate, but accept all as one. With comments submitted over the Internet or through social media networks, people have a sense of “keyboard courage,” but to the individuals who call editors of a student newspaper derogatory terms — why? Would you say that to your mother? Were you taught to hate? Because hate is not something we are born with.

The fact of the matter is, whatever you say over the Internet should always be carefully assessed before submission. Instead of using bias and hate, let us work together to become a better society and learn each other’s differences to make our diverse community stronger. I am not in support of this discrimination and hate speech — however, we must all realize there are more than 50,000 of us among the New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses. At the end of the day, we’re all eventually going to be walking across that stage, just as we all came to the Banks of the Old Raritan for one thing — an education. And we are getting any more than what our tuition pays for, whether we like it or not.

Scott Sincoff is a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences fifth-year senior double majoring in environmental policy and journalism and media studies.

By Scott Sincoff