Cookie Rush delivers desserts across New Brunswick

52f19d123d5e4.image
Photo by Dennis Zuraw |

Cookie Rush, located at 176 Easton Ave., opened last December to provide baked-to-order cookies for either delivery or pickup. They offer about 20 different cookies, from chocolate chip to red velvet, as well as milkshakes and ice cream options.

When 2 a.m. hits, the delivery options become scarce. After a few late nights, pizza and Chinese food start to lose their luster. Fortunately, relief from the monotony of nocturnal eats has finally arrived.

Cookie Rush, located at 176 Easton Ave., opened its doors last December. Specializing in baked-to-order cookies, the shop differentiates itself from typical bakeries with its late-night delivery service.

The concept of a cookie delivery service was familiar to owner Kenneth Yeglinski. During his time at Indiana University, Yeglinski frequently ordered from a nearby cookie delivery store. Realizing New Jersey lacked any such service, Yeglinski set forth to unleash cookies upon the city of New Brunswick.

At the moment, Cookie Rush offers approximately 20 different cookies, including chocolate chip, “cookies-n-creme,” oatmeal chocolate chip, sugar, snickerdoodle and red velvet. The store even offers a gluten-free cookie, which combines a peanut butter base with chocolate chips and nuts.

Though customers can order any number of cookies, larger quantities are offered at a discount, according to the menu.

The store bakes cookies after customers place their order, ensuring freshness and warmth when the cookies emerge from the oven. To manager James Reiner, this makes Cookie Rush’s product superior.

“Straight from our oven to your door,” Reiner said. “You’re opening up that box and they’re still hot.”

Because each cookie must spend time in the oven after an order is placed, customers are invited to relax while they wait. The store’s interior features couches, a flatscreen television and numerous board games to occupy the customer.

Cookie cravers can call in orders ahead for pickup, and delivery for orders exceeding $10 is available until midnight on weekdays and 3 a.m. on weekends, according to the website. Online ordering is also available on Cookie Rush’s website.

In addition to cookies, the menu at Cookie Rush features ice cream, cookie sandwiches, cookie sundaes, milkshakes and of course, milk. Cookie Rush even offers a catering service as well as customized cookie cakes for special events.

All cookie dough used at Cookie Rush is made from scratch on a daily basis. Yeglinski said he  has the highest standards for the ingredients used in cookie preparation.

“Whatever tastes the best is what we’re gonna use,” Yeglinski said. “I’m in the business of making people smile. I want the best possible experience for everybody.”

Cookie Rush also sells their cookie dough in frozen form. Their menu includes a “Cookie of the Month.” This February’s cookie is the Thumbprint, a butter cookie with raspberry jam, he said. The store also plans to offer chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine’s Day.

Die-hard cookie fans might try their hand at Cookie Rush’s “Monster Cookie Challenge.” For $20, a customer can attempt to consume a 5-pound cookie in 30 minutes or less. Winners receive the cookie for free, a photo on the wall of fame and a t-shirt.

“I don’t think it’s possible,” Yeglinski said. “If you beat it, you’re impressing me. I want to see this person. I’m issuing a challenge.”

Yeglinski said he believes even Adam Richman, former host of Travel Channel’s “Man v. Food,” would be unable to complete the challenge, despite Richman’s coming close to completing “RU Hungry’s Fat Sandwich Challenge.”

“He doesn’t do well with sugar,” Yeglinski said.

This summer, Yeglinski and Reiner hope to begin offering homemade ice cream at Cookie Rush. The duo are receptive of customers’ ideas and encourage patrons to suggest new cookie flavors for the menu.

Yeglinski said he dreams to one day expand Cookie Rush to other cities and college towns. Though the prominent bakery chain Insomnia Cookies has popularized the cookie delivery service in states other than New Jersey, Yeglinski is confident in his product.

“I’ve had Insomnia [Cookies],” Yeglinski said. “My cookies are better.”

The future of Cookie Rush seems filled with an abundance of predawn chocolate chip deliveries. For Yeglinski, this marks the beginning of a long journey on a quest to spread joy to each and every customer using only the tools of a true samaritan: cookies and milk.

“The perfect cookie ... forces you to smile,” he said. “It’s almost like being in love.”

By Matt Mikolay