Development plan to include community’s contributions

Rutgers surveyed faculty and students to determine what developments need to be included in the University’s 10-year physical master plan.

Antonio Calcado, vice president of University Facilities and Capital Planning, said Rutgers is in the process of completing the outlining of its plan, which should include the developments intended to improve Rutgers.

The MyCampus Survey asked students where they spend most of their time, where they eat and how they get around campus.

“We’re in the process of collecting information. It’s going to be in a series of forums, or open public meetings, across all the campuses,” Calcado said.

According to nj.com, the survey found that students on the New Brunswick and Piscataway campus are unhappy with the complex bus system in relation to class schedules. They also have safety concerns about being in downtown New Brunswick at night.

“It is concerns like these that will be taken into consideration when developing the physical master plan,” Calcado said. “This plan is more about the connectivity between campuses and the student experience.”

Not only is the physical master plan working to improve the community based on student concerns, but it would also coincide with the goals outlined in the University strategic plan, which was unveiled earlier this month.

Although the physical master will be designed to focus primarily on buildings and other campus development, it should still have similar goals to the Strategic Plan.

The Strategic Plan is meant to build on Rutgers’ strengths and develop new programs that would bring the University to new levels, according to President Robert L. Barchi’s letter in the Strategic Plan document.

By Erin Walsh