Knights hire former Buccaneers assistant as receivers coach

Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood announced yesterday the hiring of former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive assistant Ben McDaniels as the team’s new wide receivers coach.

McDaniels is the brother of former Denver Broncos head coach and current New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. The hiring fills the final vacancy for a full-time assistant coach on Flood’s staff.

During his two seasons with the Buccaneers under former head coach Greg Schiano, Ben McDaniels helped rookie quarterback Mike Glennon to an 82.0 passer rating, the highest among rookie quarterbacks that season.

Ben McDaniels also assisted wide receiver Vincent Jackson and running back Doug Martin in 2012, helping them earn Pro Bowl Invitations.

Ben McDaniels first made his mark in the NFL with the Broncos in 2009 as a coaching assistant and then as a quarterbacks coach in 2010.

During that time, Ben McDaniels helped guide the Broncos to the seventh-best pass offense in the NFL in 2010, as quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow combined for 4,307 passing yards and 25 touchdowns.

“Ben is a bright, young offensive coach who will be a great addition to our Rutgers football family,” Flood said in a statement. “His experience both in the NFL and on the college level will be an asset to our coaching staff and players.”

Ben McDaniels is set to coach for his second Big Ten school. He was a graduate assistant coach for Minnesota, working with the receivers in 2004 and defensive backs in 2005.

By Sean Stewart