‘Nerd Olympics’ challenge students’ engineering skills

530ac0b09b19c.image

Matthew Grossman, a School of Engineering junior, plays with a gooey substance at  the “Nerd Olympics,” held Wednesday at the Busch Campus Center.

Walking on top of a fluid named “oobleck,” a combination of cornstarch and water, constructing a crate to protect an egg dropped from heights and freezing cream into ice cream were few among the many activities students engaged in at the “Nerd Olympics” held last Wednesday as a part of the Engineers Week.

The Engineering Governing Council brought together several on-campus Science, Technology Engineering and Mathematics societies to host a science festival that featured pie-eating contests, textbook relay races, cup-stacking competitions and a game of engineering-based “Jeopardy!”

Neha Desai, the Engineers Week chair for the EGC, said planning the event was very smooth due to all of the organizations working together.

“The societies were so responsive, and they all had their own activities and ideas to bring in,” said Desai, a School of Engineering junior. “The EGC just set up the venue and made it easier for them to do what they came to do.”

Desai said throughout the night, game winners were given tickets they could use to redeem prizes such as flying discs and sunglasses.

Milap Shah, a member of the EGC, enjoyed the chance to celebrate engineers with a week that encouraged engaging science-based activities.

“We saw people having fun and using the games as a learning experience, which is exactly what we were trying to do in the first place,” said Shah, a School of Engineering first-year student.

He said the success they had at the “Nerd Olympics” demonstrates that the School of Engineering is heading toward a bright future.

“The School of Engineering is always progressing, and there are always new, innovative things coming along,” he said.

Shah said the field of engineering is always expanding and finding new ways to take on new goals is an engineering skill itself.

“Engineering is the future, really. What we’re doing is going to be valuable in the years to come,” said Anvita Tiwari, an EGC member.

Tiwari, also a School of Engineering first-year student, said it is important to spread the message of what the school is accomplishing so more students can get involved.

“Engineering is a growing field, and [the School of Engineering] is an exciting school to be a part of,” she said.

Desai said Engineers Week this year was exciting because many non-engineering students were participating in the week’s events.

“I think that getting a larger turnout from other schools shows a more united community, and it helps us celebrate the 150th anniversary in a better way,” Desai said.

By Melanie Groves