March 18, 2018 | ° F

RU tweaks lineup for Fairfield

Photo by Tianfang Yu |

Freshman midfielder Amanda Turturro said the Knights need to focus on working together as one unit in order to show more offensive consistency tomorrow at home.

With its next game quickly approaching, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team has been hard at practice this week in preparation.

The Scarlet Knights’ next contest against Fairfield at home tomorrow will provide them with another opportunity to work out the issues that came up in their season opener.

“We need to learn from our mistakes from last game,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias.

After struggling to find an offensive rhythm Tuesday against Manhattan, Brand-Sias and the coaching staff has mixed things up this week in practice.

“We’re taking some time to find the right chemistry on the offensive side of the ball,” Brand-Sias said.

Offensive continuity, with the right mix on attack and at midfield, is paramount to Brand-Sias and the team as a whole.

“We need to find the best group that works together,” Brand-Sias said.

This has led to the coaching staff rotating in multiple starters and backups on offense during practice in order to find the right fit for the attack line and midfield.

The hope is to remedy the problems that plagued the Knights against Manhattan.

“Our shooting percentage needs to be better,” said Brand-Sias, who pointed to this statistic as the main issue for the Knights attack.

The team was 6-for-26 on shot attempts, which will not lead to many victories against tougher opponents.

Brand-Sias has been preaching patience on offense and that Rutgers cannot become discouraged if the game is not going its way.

“We can’t sacrifice our game plan especially if we’re getting shots on net,” Brand-Sias said.

The players echoed the words of their coach.

Midfielder Amanda Turturro, one of the Knights’ true freshmen seeing playing time in attack, commented on what the team needs to focus on if they wish to start the season 2-0.

“I think working as one unit, on top of using what we have been going through at practice, is really important,” Turturro said.

She also spoke on how the rust should be gone for the whole team now that the first game is out of the way.

“We’ll go into the next game relaxed because I know we had to work out the kinks in the first game,” Turturro said.

Brand-Sias further explained the need to utilize the Knights’ wealth of players in order to get everyone involved in the offensive game plan for Saturday’s contest.

“We’re prepared to use more people on Saturday,” said Brand-Sias, who hopes different rotations will provide a spark for the offensive unit.

In what will serve as an effective benchmark for the team as it goes through the non-conference segment of its season, Brand-Sias wants to see improvement on all sides of the ball against Fairfield.

“We need a total team effort,” Brand-Sias said.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Conor Nordland