U. professorial candidate accused of sexual assault

Professor Peter Ludlow, who allegedly sexually assaulted a Northwestern University junior in February 2012, is a candidate for a position at Rutgers.

The plaintiff filed a lawsuit against Northwestern University on Monday after the University failed to act on her complaint against Ludlow, the campus newspaper reported.

But in November, Ludlow said he would serve as the director of the Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science and a professor in the Department of Philosophy, according to Leiter Reports, a philosophy blog run by University of Chicago Professor Brian Leiter.

Although Rutgers did not confirm Ludlow’s position, Rutgers had no prior information about the allegations against Ludlow, said Greg Trevor, senior director of Media Relations.

“This was not brought to our attention by either the candidate or his employer,” Trevor said. “We are looking into this matter thoroughly, including requesting all relevant information to fully evaluate his candidacy.”

Trevor declined to further comment on the matter.

According to The Daily Northwestern, the lawsuit stated that after the student attended an art show with Ludlow in 2012, Ludlow gave her alcohol and ignored her requests to be taken to her home.

She accused Ludlow of groping her and sexually assaulting her in his apartment, where she became unconscious and woke the next day in his bed, according to the lawsuit.

Ludlow brought the student back to campus the next day, according to the suit. She reported the incident to a faculty member the following day.

Several days later, the student attempted suicide and suffered post-traumatic disorder.

Northwestern officials investigated the student’s allegations and found Ludlow was guilty of “unwelcome and inappropriate sexual advances.” The campus investigation did not find that the professor groped the student.

According to the lawsuit, Northwestern is required to pay her medical bills, tuition and legal fees, as well as any additional money for emotional distress.

Jeffrey King, chair of the Department of Philosophy at Rutgers, also gave a similar statement to Trevors’ in an email.

“Neither the University nor the department knew anything about the allegations against Professor Ludlow until Monday, Feb. 10,” King said. “We take the allegations very seriously, and the University is actively looking into the matter.”

A previous version of this article appeared online on Wednesday.

By Vaishali Gauba