City launches initiative for neighborhood clean up

New Brunswick has plans to clean the city for spring.

The city is holding multiple initiatives in an attempt to clean up the neighborhood, said Russell Marchetta, public information officer for New Brunswick.

It is seeking block captains for its Clean City Program, which provides residents with materials such as rakes and bags and helps them recruit neighbors to clean up their areas, according to a press release from the office of the mayor.

The mini-cleanups have already made a difference in the appearance of the city, he said. One Rutgers group received an award as a part of the program for their efforts.

The program encourages residents to clean up their own areas, he said.

“If all your neighbors want to keep their homes and properties neat, you’ll want to clean up,” he said.

The city has integrated the program into a long-term project called “Stop, Think, Go Green,” he said. It has posted the organization’s logo on signs throughout the area.

Starting April 28, the city is planning a community clean sweep program, he said. Inspectors would go around the city and look for quality of life issues such as litter, debris, graffiti and inappropriate furniture on porches and balconies.

The inspectors would hand out warnings that could turn into court summons for residents, he said.

Along with nicer weather should come nicer street, Marchetta said. As of April 1, the city would bring out street sweepers to patrol the roads. The sweepers will run until October.

“We’re all in this together,” he said. “We want to create a grassroots effort.”

By Erin Petenko