July 18, 2018 | ° F

Knights hope to continue winning streak versus Villanova

After winning a close 11-10 contest against Hofstra on Wednesday, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team is carrying a substantial amount of momentum into Big East conference play.

The Scarlet Knights (6-4) impressed in their last three games, riding a winning streak on the road to Villanova (4-4) tomorrow.

The Knights have increased their offensive output during the winning streak, scoring a combined 29 goals over that span.

In contrast, the Knights only scored 14 goals in their three losses prior to their win streak.

Junior midfielder Lauren Sbrilli has held her own on the attacking line, scoring nine goals in the past three games.

Villanova comes in having an up-and-down season thus far, looking to bounce back following a 17-8 loss to No. 6 Notre Dame.

The Wildcats score at a high rate this season — forwarding 9.88 goals per game — but their defense has struggled lately.

Over the past four games, the Wildcats’ defense allowed an average of 12.5 goals per game.

This should bode well for Rutgers, which shows promise on offense after struggling for much of the first half of the season.

The improved offensive chemistry coincides with the defense performing up to its standards.

After allowing 33 goals in two games to Stony Brook and Penn State, the Knights’ defense has clamped down in the past three games and has forced turnovers.

Duplicating the performance it had in its last three games gives Rutgers an improved chance in its contest against Villanova.

The Knights have played at a higher level, and their victories in close games will provide additional experience to an already-veteran team.

The president set by head coach Laura Brand-Sias have paid off for the Knights.

The team is beginning to improve and buy in to the concept of maintaining a high intensity level for the full 60 minutes, something that Brand-Sias has stressed in the past.

Rutgers’ primary season goal of capturing the Big East title begins this Saturday against Villanova.

In their final season in the Big East, the Knights are focused and determined to fulfill one of the program’s long-term goals.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Conor Nordland