Pair of Knights earn EAGL honors

Sophomore Jenna Williams and freshman Claire Jones each earned EAGL weekly honors yesterday for the Rutgers gymnastics team after their career-high performances Saturday at Cornell.

Williams earned Specialist of the Week following a 9.875 score on balance beam. Her previous top score was a 9.850, which she earned Jan. 19 at Ohio State.

Jones was named Rookie of the Week after also scoring a 9.875 on beam, topping her previous best by a full point.

Jones and Williams tied for first place with senior Alexis Gunzelman in the event and helped the Scarlet Knights to a season-high 49.100. It was the team’s third-best score in a single event this season.

It was the highest event total of the meet for Rutgers en route to its program-best road score and season-high tally of 195.825.

“They rocked their beam routines,” said head coach Louis Levine in a statement. “Between the two of them and Alexis [Gunzelman], they all went 9.875 to finish first in the meet. It is great to see two earn weekly recognition, which is well-deserved.”

It was the third EAGL weekly honor of Williams’ career as she was named Rookie of the Week twice in 2013.

Williams has competed primarily on beam this season, competing in the event at eight out of nine meets this season.

Jones earned her first weekly honor and the second Rookie of the Week honor for the Knights this season. Freshman April Baker was named Rookie of the Week on Jan. 15.

Jones scored a 9.850 on floor exercise on Feb. 22, which was good for a second-place tie. The freshman scored a 9.900 on vault in a Tri-Meet against George Washington and William & Mary on Feb. 9, where she tied for third place.

Jones has competed vault, beam and floor exercise this season and has performed on beam at all nine meets this year.

For updates on the Rutgers gymnastics team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Lauren Green