Strategic Plan calls for business collaboration

The Rutgers Strategic Plan, a five-year roadmap that plans to help the University become one of the country’s premier public institutions, calls for Rutgers to collaborate and create relationships with businesses across the University.

According to the Office of Research and Economic Development’s website, Rutgers already offers research centers, licensing technology, facilities and equipment, along with students and academic programs to businesses in New Jersey and beyond. The facilities provide businesses a variety of services.

Christopher Molloy, senior vice president for research and economic development, led the Rutgers and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey integration before becoming head of the ORED, according to the website.

The office has outlined their initiatives to match the Strategic Plan’s goal of having Rutgers become an even more business-friendly environment.

Included in the plan is the act of simplifying corporate contracts and research agreements to develop a decision-making process in which managers directly involved with business partners will be making decisions.

Additionally, the plan aims to devise a system where business partners will know who to contact at Rutgers to efficiently facilitate collaboration.

According to the site, the relatively new Office of Translation Science, which encourages collaboration through the molecular, structural, imaging and biomedical sciences, will build relationships with local biotechnology and biomedical companies.

This relationship building is meant to help these businesses succeed, according to the website.

The Office of Innovation & Technology Commercialization plans to implement some of these steps toward enhancing Rutgers’ relationships with the business world, according to the website.

Richard Mammone, associate vice president for innovation and professor in the School of Engineering and the Rutgers Business School, said Rutgers aims to cater to the customer by listening to companies to create solutions that meet their needs.

Mammone’s staff has already interviewed business executives and managers to understand the wants and needs of businesses.

By Sabrina Szteinbaum