Clark favors inclusiveness

Samuel Clark, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, aims to integrate more student groups into RUSA. – Photo by Michelle Klejmont

Samuel Clark sees the Rutgers University Student Assembly as a means to bridge the gap between Rutgers administration and students. The School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science and history is running for RUSA president this year. 

Clark, who has been involved with RUSA since his first year at Rutgers, became the student affairs chair of RUSA as a sophomore.

Clark said his peers motivated him to run for the position. Although his party, Scarlet Knights United, started campaigning later than his counterpart, he feels confident about the position.

Clark’s major goal is to integrate more student groups with RUSA in order to allow students to develop a closer relationship with student government.

“I want to get more student involvement from greek life, cultural groups, women leadership groups and philanthropy groups to better represent the Rutgers community,” he said.

Clark is also an advocate for safety in and around the campus in light of the recent murder of a former Rutgers student.

“I want to continue to pursue the public safety initiative and work closely with [Rutgers University Police Department] and [New Brunswick Police Department],” he said.

Other projects that Clark aims to pursue include working for better lighting on Cook and Douglass campuses, work with RU Dining Services to incorporate a student representative on the committee that looks after dining hall menus and textbook and tuition affordability.

If elected president, Clark wants to look for more involvement from student speakers such as those from the Rutgers University Debate Union, who debated Condoleezza Rice’s invitation at the last RUSA meeting.

He said while he is in favor of speakers from administration, he would like to see students articulately argue on various issues, maybe once a semester.

Clark currently works closely with organizations like Rutgers Student Union and New Jersey United States, organizations that work to increase student participation in Board of Governors meetings.

He said current RUSA president, Pavel Sokolov, has done an excellent job, and he wishes to work closely with his team if elected.

Clark believes his counterpart Kristine Baffo is a great candidate, and he has a strong feeling it will be a good race.

If elected, Clark said he would thank everyone who supported him and touch base with RUSA’s advisor so he can start working toward his position as soon as possible.

“We have less than a month left for this semester, but I would definitely want to get as much work done as possible.”