April 23, 2018 | ° F

Knights seek to end losing streak in Big East clash

53474c3d85ecd.image

Sophomore attacker Kristen Kocher registered a team-high five points in the Knights’ last game versus UConn.

After dropping its last two contests, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team has to get on the right track.

For their next game today against Marquette (5-6, 1-1) at High Point Solutions Stadium, the Scarlet Knights (6-6, 0-2) know they must pull out a win if they hope to stay alive for a Big East Tournament berth.

The Knights are currently at the bottom of the standings in the Big East, with a two-game deficit to climb out of.

Rutgers has five games left to rebound and fulfill the season’s main goal made back in the preseason.

Despite their loss against Connecticut, the Knights are upbeat about the way they have been playing recently, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

“I think they’re gelling nicely,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias. “They just need to constantly focus on increasing their shooting percentage and maintaining possession of the ball.”

The Knights scored 11 goals in each of their last three games and have averaged 10.2 goals per game over the last five contests. This should bode well against Marquette, as the Golden Eagles have allowed 11.55 goals per game on defense this season.

Sophomore attacker Kristen Kocher, who registered five points in the Knights’ loss to UConn, said Rutgers is determined entering today’s game.

“We left everything on the field last game, so we’re going to have to take a lot of anger out on Marquette,” Kocher said.

If the Knights are to come out with a win against the Golden Eagles, it must happen on the defensive side of the ball.

The unit that was arguably the strength of the team early on needs to return to the way it was playing at the start of the year. Over the past five contests, the Knights have allowed 10.4 goals per game.

The Knights will be looking to contain Marquette attacker Claire Costanza, who leads the Golden Eagles with 16 goals and 15 assists.

After putting together a solid game against UConn that fell just short in overtime, the Knights know they are close to breaking through in Big East play.

That breakthrough arguably must come tonight if Rutgers wishes to keep its postseason hopes alive.

“Every game is a must-win now,” Kocher said.

For more updates on the women’s lacrosse, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Conor Nordland