Man hit by NJ Transit train conveyed suicidal thoughts

Frank Farriella of the Middlesex Borough, 50, who was struck by an oncoming train in New Brunswick March 25, served prison time for making terroristic threats and had just been released weeks before his death, according to New Jersey Department of Corrections.

Ten minutes before the incident, Farriella called his father, who reportedly called the New Brunswick police to tip them off, but Ferriella had already been hit and killed by an express train by the time the police arrived.

“I can’t take it anymore. I’m going to kill myself,” he said to his father, according to an article from ABC7. 

He had been paroled from jail just over a month before the incident, according to the New Jersey Department of Corrections. 

“We haven’t discounted suicide. It’s still an active investigation,” NJ Transit spokesman William Smith told NJ.com.

He also served 180 days for violating a restraining order before making terroristic threats to his family, according to a New Brunswick today article. He served an additional eight days for an unpaid fine.

Farriella was not on the track and was leaning into the train’s path, according to an article on mycentraljersey.com.

After getting struck by the train, four people were injured by Farriella’s dismembered body parts. Three of those injured were hospitalized at Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center.

“There was a loud screech, and what I would describe as a crack. Something that really hurt my ears or pierced by hearing,” said witness Michael Iaccarino to ABC7. “It sounded like it was an express [train] going through, just passing by.”

Andrew Rodriguez