Oink and Moo BBQ: Livingston, Busch bask in barbecue

533b8a7b4d596.image

Oink and Moo BBQ opened yesterday on Busch campus and will make stops at Livingston campus.

Students could smell the smoky, sweet aroma of Oink and Moo BBQ the moment they stepped off the bus by the Allison Road Classroom buildings yesterday on Busch campus. 

At the maroon food truck parked at the corner, vendors handed out bowls of chili adorned with corn bread to waiting students for its first day at the University. 

Co-owner Sean Parker said the truck began two years ago when founder Joshua Sacks decided to expand his passion for barbecue to a low-cost option. The business has since expanded to catering, events and a satellite truck in Philadelphia. 

Parker, a Rutgers alumnus, has worked for smokehouses across the country and developed a special relationship with smoked meat. 

“Josh has been hosting his own cook-offs for years,” he said. “We would do an ongoing chili competition.”

Although it is early in their time here, he is already impressed with the student response. The truck plans to alternate between three locations: ARC, Joyce Kilmer Avenue on Livingston campus and another Livingston location, and will update students on its many social media feeds. 

For their daily menu, they use the truck’s own smoker, where they prepare meats such as brisket, ribs and pulled pork for up to 14 hours. They use their own dry rub beforehand, and slather the food with barbecue sauce afterwards.

“We like to offer better quality food for students who are used to mozzarella sticks and french fries,” he said. 

The truck is also open to catering for Rutgers events, Parker said. They offer a wider catering menu with vegan chili and tofu tacos for vegetarians. 

They are coordinating logistics to cater football events in the fall. The truck already caters many PNC Bank Arts Center concerts in Newark. 

“Depending on the concert, it’s pretty diverse,” he said. “We’ll cater for Lil Wayne … and country and some hardcore festivals with people with 3 1/2 Mohawks,” he said. 

Parker is eager to be back at his alma mater.. The truck was parked next to the building where he took physics classes as a student. 

As an outgoing person, he loves to interact with customers and see their reaction to his food, especially as the warmer weather draws them out. 

“It’s instantly gratifying to have people come back and tell you what they think,” he said. 

Philip Chan, a School of Engineering junior, ordered the chipotle chicken tacos. He said while it did not beat real barbecue, it was still “pretty tasty.”

“It’s a little on the pricey side,” he said.

By Erin Petenko