Rutgers community has obligation to stand up against administration

Letter to Editor

It never ceases to amaze me when people are presented with the opportunity to be great. They can contribute to something greater than themselves and use their consciousness to assert their place on the right side of history — and they don’t take it.

Whether it’s a newspaper staff that doesn’t stand up to an abusive authority, an administration that fails to recognize an academic boycott, or now, a war criminal like Condoleezza Rice being invited to speak and be honored at our commencement. I urge my fellow Rutgers students to not allow this moment to become another historical disappointment. In this moment, each and every one of us has the opportunity to be great. We must do our part, however small we think it is, proclaim the sanctity of human rights and human dignity and refuse the honoring of a political figure who will surely be remembered in our collective history as a gross violator of those ideals.

There is nothing noble or honorable about nodding our heads to the shameful events taking place around us. We must have the courage to use our voices and say “No.” It is our obligation to make it clear that 1 million civilian casualties deserve no honor at Rutgers. We must take a stand now so that we do not have to look into our children’s eyes 20 years from now when they come home from school telling us about what they learned in history class and have our indifference today be on our conscience.

No. Does University President Robert L. Barchi believe that we will not come together to write letters, publicly rally and, if our administration insists on their arbitrary invitation to Rice, protest commencement? Let us not stand idly by and passively welcome a public figure whose values have no place at Rutgers University — let us instead be great.

Amani Al-Khatahtbeh is School of Arts of Sciences senior majoring in political science and Middle Eastern studies with minors in women’s and gender studies and international and global studies. She is a former opinions editor for The Daily Targum.

By Amani Al-Khatahtbeh