Rutgers loses in OT in Big East action

In a tight game that came down to the final seconds, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team fell to Connecticut on Saturday night at High Point Solutions Stadium, 12-11. 

In their first overtime game of the season, the Scarlet Knights (6-6, 0-2) could not come up with the pivotal goal in the overtime period to defeat UConn (7-4, 2-0).

The contest was a tale of two halves. 

Rutgers was unable to move its offense, as UConn dominated possession in the overtime period. Midfielder Lauren Kahn netted the game-winner 3:34 into overtime for the Huskies. 

The Knights had one last chance to score but turned the ball over with less than 10 seconds left in the game. 

Rutgers traded goals with UConn after the Huskies took the lead, 9-8, with 16:21 left in the second half. Freshman attacker Amanda Turturro scored the game-tying goal with 30 seconds left to send the game into overtime. 

The Knights came out firing in the opening half and entered halftime with a 7-3 lead. The Huskies then charged back, scoring six goals within the first 15 minutes of play in the second half. 

UConn was powered by Kahn, its leading scorer, and attacker Carly Palmucci. Both Huskies recorded a hat trick in the game, while midfielder Katherine Finkelston also added two goals.

Sophomore midfielder Kristin Kocher and Turturro both scored four goals apiece for Rutgers. Sophomore attackers Kim Kolodny and Halley Barnes also scored for the Knights, netting two goals and one goal, respectively. 

Despite the tough loss, the Knights remained upbeat about the way they performed.

“It’s obviously difficult not getting the win,” Kocher said. “But I think everyone from the defense, midfield, to the attack really played their hearts out tonight.”

The Knights held slight advantages in most of the statistical categories, including shots, 26-24, ground balls, 18-17, and turnovers, 20-18. 

Despite having the advantages, UConn outshot Rutgers, 16-10, in the second half, while also controlling nine draws to the Knights’ five. 

Head coach Laura Brand-Sias commented on what factored into the contrasting halves for her team. 

“They came out really fired up at the start [of the second half] and we played a little scared at the start, and we just gave them all the momentum in the game,” Brand-Sias said. 

The Huskies controlled the tempo for much of the second half and into overtime. The Knights were slow to react to UConn’s increased intensity in the second half.

“We have to keep the blinders on,” Brand-Sias said. “Keep moving forward and focus on what we need to do.”

Conor Nordland