Tech Tuesday: Year in review

53463636e6db7.image
Photo by Nis Frome |

Daniel Borowski, former BuzzFeed intern joins Team Tech Tuesday at The Daily Targum.

It’s been a busy first year for Tech Tuesday. We’ve covered everything from student-created startups to University-funded cancer research. We’ve written rants about net neutrality and the entrepreneurship scene at Rutgers. 

Below is a collection of our favorite stories from the past year:

RU Tech Meetup

Photo: Tyler Gold

Kite + Key is the first and only tech retail store on Rutgers Campus authorized to sell Apple products.

Photo: Tyler Gold

Laptops on display on Rutgers tech store Kite + Key. located on Livingston Campus.

Photo: Michelle Klejmont

Popular services like Netflix are in anger of being disrupted by cable companies if net neutrality disappears.

September 17 2013

The second bi-annual RU Tech Meetup tripled in size, garnering an audience of more than 150 students, faculty, and members from the local community. Mike Swift, ‘12 alumnus, spoke about the importance of a supportive community in the programming world. 

“It’s not what you know, it’s who you know,” Swift said.

BROWSER remote control app

Septmeber 24 2013 

A Rutgers alumnus, Ian Jennings, created a browser plug-in that lets a mobile phone control websites like YouTube or even act as a remote for a presentation. The Daily Targum interviewed Jennings about his inspiration and goals for Mote.

Kite+Key

October 29, 2013

Kite+Key opened Oct. 10 as the first tech retail store on Rutgers campus authorized to sell Apple products. It offers a variety of gadgets and accessories at standard prices with built-in student discounts.

“At the end of the day, technology is so integrated into everyone’s lives,” said Michael Pelardis, a senior project administrator for University Housing and oversees housing and development for Livingston campus, including the tech retail store. “Our mission is to support them and be a part of the renaissance of integrating technology into education and our lives.”

Education in the Digital Age

November 5 2013

Inspired by online courses and learning programs like Khan Academy, Sesh Venugopal, director of Undergraduate Computer Science, and Vaibhav Verma, a computer science masters candidate, created the startup Flipdclass. Flipdclass combines YouTube videos with quizes at different intervals to test a student’s understanding of what was just shown. It was piloted at the University in Venugopal’s own introductory computer science classes, among others.

Entrepreneurship at Rutgers

November 19 2013 

Starting a company in college, and at Rutgers in particular, is incredibly difficult. And knowing how easy it could be to start a company here with the right resources only highlights the difficulty.

For entrepreneurship to take hold on campus, all the necessary players, including students, will have to make a commitment.

Cancer Institute awards grant for app

November 26, 2013

The Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey was awarded a $3.2 million grant from the National Cancer Institute to develop and test a program that aims to study and help improve the health management needs of cancer survivors. Her research includes developing a smartphone app for cancer survivors, which aims to make patient-doctor relations smoother and more efficient. 

Mashery acquires Hacker League

December 10 2013

Big news for the Rutgers computer science community: Hacker League, a platform for powering hackathons that was conceived of at a hackathon, was acquired by Intel-owned Mashery. Hacker League was created by three Rutgers alumni, all of whom spoke to The Daily Targum about what it was like to have their startup purchased by a large company. 

Former Buzzfeed intern helps Tech Tuesday take off

February 18 2014 

Just a year ago, articles in The Daily Targum about technology initiatives were far and few between. Today, “Tech Tuesday” regularly exposes projects developed by students, professors and members of the local community.

Due to the popularity of this column and the numerous technology projects worthy of coverage, “Tech Tuesday” loosely adheres to Moore’s Law, adding more writing capacity every 18 months. Geeky jokes aside, we’re happy to already introduce the third writer to this burgeoning column, a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in computer science, Daniel Borowski.

Net Neutrality

March 25, 2014

The open internet is in danger: big cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner want to make the internet like, well, cable. If they have their way, we could someday live in a world where internet users have to buy websites in packages, like cable sports channels or HBO. Imagine paying an extra fee on top of their regular Internet plan to have access to sites like YouTube, Twitter or Facebook! 

Nis Frome and Tyler Gold