Become involved on campus, make most of time at Rutgers

Letter to Editor

As I look back on my four years on the Banks, I cannot help but feel melancholy, recognizing that all of this will be coming to an end in a few short weeks. Rutgers University has provided me with experiences I will treasure for the rest of my life — not only treasure but hopefully learn from as well, as this is a University, after all. It has been an honor to serve this past year as your student body president, and I hope many of you have felt the impact the Rutgers University Student Assembly has had on your time here. It is always important to remember that you are not alone in your collegiate struggle. You have friends, family, professors, advisors, and yes, even your student government, working to mitigate the effects of the “RUScrew” as it has come to be “affectionately” known.  At the very least, I have found the RUScrew as much a learning experience as occasionally attending lecture. Our Department of Transportation with its expansive bus system is the best preparation for any non-city dweller on how a large metropolitan transportation system functions. Likewise, the sprawling bureaucracy that makes up the Rutgers Administration is just a taste of what interacting with our local, state and federal governments is like. I doubt our friends in the IRS are as willing to hear you out as our financial aid office that strives to make sure we can continue attending Rutgers.

While the following may seem more appropriate for the first day of class instead of the last, as always, I urge everyone reading this to be involved on campus. My time at Rutgers would not have been the same without the RUSA and the Rutgers Business Governing Association. As someone who commuted for three years, I resolved I would make more of my time here than simply someone who shows up to class and goes home afterwards. I would not have met any of my now close friends and especially my roommates without the experiences I have had in student government. Involvement on campus takes on so many different shapes and sizes, the Aresty Research program, governing councils, greek life, athletics, student staff and the hundreds of student clubs we have on campus. It is never too late to get involved and experience something new or step out of your comfort zone. Be sure to do so, and make new friends and memories of your time here.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me on my journey through Rutgers, and especially thank the staff of The Daily Targum for bearing with me and covering my obnoxiously long meetings.

Pavel Sokolov is a Rutgers Business School senior. He is a former president of the Rutgers University Student Assembly.

Pavel Sokolov