RUDM, Rutgers Day see annual celebration

Rutgers University Dance Marathon

The 16th annual Rutgers University Dance Marathon saw the unswerving energy of more than 800 dancers and 1,200 participants who stood on their feet for 30 straight hours starting on April 5 until the evening of April 6.

This year’s RUDM raised $622,533.98 for the Embrace Kids Foundation, surpassing last year’s record of $503,641.77. Also, this year’s venue relocated from the College Avenue Gym to the Louis Brown Athletic Center on Livingston campus, according to a Daily Targum article.

Hundreds of volunteers and dancers, who also belonged to Rutgers clubs, fraternities and local bands, participated in RUDM without losing focus of the families who benefitted from this fundraiser. RUDM was a unifying experience for all participants.

Since 1999, RUDM has raised more than $3 million for children affected by cancer and blood disorders. RUDM initially counted approximately 400 dancers without even filling the entire College Avenue Gymnasium where it was first held.

Rutgers Day

A crowd of nearly 84,000 people celebrated the sixth annual Rutgers Day on Busch, Cook/Douglass and the College Avenue campuses.

According to a Daily Targum article from April 28, Rutgers Day 2014 offered new programs from the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences alumni and from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, according to a Daily Targum article from April 28.

Rutgers Day was inaugurated with a parade marching down College Avenue to Voorhees Mall. The ROTC Color Guard, Rutgers Dance Team and cheerleaders marched in the parade, enhancing the Rutgers pride through peculiar wagons and period-specific costuming.

Music also proved to be an instrumental part of the day with the New Jersey Folk Festival and AGStock, according to the article.

The NJFF celebrated its 40th anniversary this Rutgers Day.

As part of the anniversary celebration, Bulgaa Altangerel, the Mongolian ambassador to the United States, attended as a special guest.

After the NJFF, Rutgers students were able to showcase their talent through AGStock, a concert that featured student bands, singers, rappers and poets as well as food and prizes.

Many former graduate students regularly join Rutgers Day to remember the Rutgers spirit by visiting their favorite campuses.

Sabrina Restivo