WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

Editorial

COMBATING ASSAULT

One in five women experiences sexual assault while in college. Rutgers is taking an active stand against it. The University will be working with the federal government to conduct surveys for a national task force to compile information on sexual assault across the country and develop ways to combat it. We laurel the University for being involved in an important initiative to being attentive to one of the most serious issues in our society — especially on college campuses.

COMMUNITY CONTRIBUTORS

The end of the school year, and as always a lot of students had the opportunity to present the results of research projects they’ve been working on for the past semester — or even several semesters. This week, students in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences presented solutions for sustainability on campus that they have worked on for the last three semesters. Their ideas are just as practical and innovative as you would expect from future leaders. We laurel the students for their excellent work, and for already becoming active contributors to the community.

POLARIZED PROTESTS

It’s the end of the semester, and all of the attention has been on the debate surrounding former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as this year’s commencement speaker. The administration has been ignoring student and faculty protests, and the rest of the community has been weighing in with their opinions about all sides of the issue through social media and in the Targum — but nothing has actually happened despite all the debate. This dart goes to the polarizing nature of an issue that most people aren’t taking the time to properly educate themselves about.

DEBT DISASTER

The average amount of student debt for Rutgers graduate in 2012 was $26,656 — and it doesn’t look like that number is going to look much better this year. Student debt is one of the most stressful things hanging over most students’ heads during the otherwise happy occasion of graduation. We dart the lack of quick action being taken on both a local and national level to alleviate the issue.

FUN IN THE SUN: RU EDITION

If you weren’t around last Saturday for Rutgers Day, you really missed out. This year’s event was a huge success and brought out a record-breaking crowd of more than 80,000 people. The weather was beautiful, there was lots of food, great music, dance performances and activities for everyone from the oldest alumni to their grandchildren. Best of all, we got to play with some of the most adorable animals we’ve ever seen, from hedgehogs to horses. We laurel the University for continuing a tradition that is only getting bigger and better every year.

NOTHING COOKING ON COOK  

As beautiful as it sometimes is to have acres of open land on Cook campus, the problem is that it makes it very removed from many eating options on and around campus. To make matters worse, the Cook Café recently changed its policy to no longer accept meal swipes after 6 p.m. It’s already hard enough to get good food (or any food at all) on Cook, and it’s pretty safe to say that most of us are going to be pretty hungry well after 6 p.m. with our schedules. This dart goes to a terrible policy, especially for students who live on Cook campus.

By The Daily Targum