Apple to launch bigger iPhones on Sept. 19, smartwatch in early 2015

techiphone
Photo by © Stephen Lam / Reuters |

Reuters | Apple CEO Tim Cook wears the Apple Watch and shows the iPhone 6 Plus during an Apple event at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California.

For gadget heads, Christmas often comes in September. On Sept. 9, Apple Inc. announced not one, but two new iPhones, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus that will launch this coming Friday, Sept. 19, along with the Apple Watch, set to hit stores in early 2015.

These may prove to be the biggest iPhones launches to date.

The iPhone 6 has a 4.7-inch screen, while the iPhone 6 Plus is equipped with a monstrous 5.5-inch display. Last year’s iPhone 5s had a comparatively tiny 4.0-inch display.

The iPhone 6 is the smaller of the two larger phones, with a 4.7-inch, 1334x750 display, and is 6.9mm thick, making it the thinnest phone Apple has ever produced. It is also 5.44-inches tall by 2.64-inches wide.

On the other hand, the iPhone 6 Plus has a huge 5.5-inch display in a 6.22-inch by 3.06-inch frame. Its 1920x1080 resolution is the same as most big screen TVs, giving it a huge count of 401 pixels per inch.

Both phones run on the same A8 chip, a 64-bit CPU with a new M8 motion coprocessor that can track the steps someone takes. Each phone will run iOS 8, Apple’s latest mobile OS, and are equipped with improved 8-megapixel iSight sensors.

The iPhone 6 Plus takes it a step further by offering optical image stabilization (OIS), which physically compensates for shaky hands by moving the camera inside the phone to provide a crisp photo.

Both devices will also offer 1080p HD video recording at 30frames per second or 60fps, and slow motion up to 240fps.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available in 16 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB storage sizes, and come in three colors: silver, gold and “space gray.”

Perhaps the most innovative feature of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus is Apple’s new mobile payment system, Apple Pay, which ties credit and/or debit card information to one’s iPhone to make instantaneous payments at the tip of one’s fingers. Everything is encrypted and requires a passcode or fingerprint scan before any transactions can be processed.

Apple describes the feature as “Your wallet, without the wallet.”

To add to the excitement, Apple also announced the launching of Apple Watch.

“[It’s the] next chapter in Apple’s story,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said.

A wearable device by Apple has been long-rumored and highly anticipated.

Apple Watch’s main control will be through a “digital crown,” a modern take on the classic watch dial, and a new touch-screen that’s also pressure sensitive. The crown will be used to navigate menus without obstructing the display, and will be available in two sizes, 38mm and 42mm.

Apply Watch will come in three different versions: Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch Edition. The Edition will come in gold, while the other models will be silver.

Each will have the same series of number of sensors to track various health and fitness data such as one’s heartbeat or how many steps someone takes throughout the day. The Apple Watch will also have a proprietary band system that should add a level of personalization to the device.

Apple’s iPhone 6 had more than four million pre-orders in the first 24 hours of availability, crushing previous records.

The Apple online store suffered from severe technical difficulties due to overwhelming demand. Due to the excessive number of orders, many units (even those that were pre-ordered) will not be shipped until October.

Nevertheless, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available in Apple stores around the U.S. at 8 a.m. this Friday, Sept. 19. Carriers like Verizon and AT&T will have a limited number of units.

The Tech Tuesday team encourages hopeful iPhone buyers to arrive extra-early — lines for iPhone launches are always long, especially considering the hype surrounding these exciting technological developments.

Meet Patel

Neelesh Tekal

Tyler Gold