DIY: The Jack-O'-Lantern bomb

ib_food_jackolantern_shawn

The Jack-O'-Lantern "bomb" drink combines pumpkin beer with a shot of Fireball whiskey.

With the colder temperatures and falling leaves come football, hooded sweatshirts and pumpkin beer. Many bars and liquor stores have begun to transition from their summer brews to autumn-inspired drinks. Using flavors like pumpkin, nutmeg and chocolate, fall beer selections vary by store and bar.

For those 21 or older, you can get your favorite pumpkin beer to taste like a common fall favorite — homemade pumpkin pie — by making the Jack-O’-Lantern. This is a bomb type of drink, where you drop a shot into a glass and chug.

For this shot, you will need a few items:

• Your favorite pumpkin beer, such as Blue Moon’s “Harvest Pumpkin”
  • Fireball Whiskey
  • Ground cinnamon
  • Sugar
  • 1 orange
  • A pint glass
  • A shot glass

1. Start by pouring out some of the cinnamon and sugar mixture onto a plate or other hard surface.

Photo:

2. Next, cut up the orange into slices. Take one slice, cut it in the middle and use it to put a rim on half the pint glass. Then dip the glass into the cinnamon and sugar mixture so your glass has a nice coating along the rim.

3. Pour about half a pint of pumpkin beer into the glass, being careful not to let the top reach the rim on the glass. You can do this by pouring slowly and holding the glass at a 45-degree angle.

4. Once the beer has settled, pour Fireball into the shot glass.

5. Finally, drop the shot glass into the pint and chug the drink. Repeat as necessary.

This drink is one of my favorites, but can only be enjoyed for a few months while pumpkin beer is available. Please enjoy responsibly.

Shawn Smith is a writer and photographer for The Daily Targum, as well as a bartender at Quaker Steak & Lube in Edison, New Jersey.

Shawn Smith