Hello Essay helps students get expert feedback for essays

tech_hello_essay_michelle
Photo by Michelle Klejmont |

Photo Illustration | Hello Essay, launched in 2013, allows users to hire professional editors to provide advice and editing for their essays. Ranging from $39 to $59, users can make use of the standard edits or the premium edits that include additional feedback.

Anyone who struggles with editing essays now has a new space to receive professional writing advice.

Launched in May 2013, Hello Essay is an app that lets students hire professional editors to provide advice and editing for their essays. 

Zack Homer, CEO and co-founder of Hello Essay, said his goal was to create a legitimate place for students to find writing support. 

Students can select an editor based on criteria such as essay type, subject area and length requirements, or if the content is for admission to a program, Homer said. 

Editors, which include former admissions officers and Ivy League scholars, have a wide range of expertise in a number of subject areas.

Hello Essay even goes so far as to hire bilingual editors to assist non-English speaking students in their native languages. 

Homer said the service is not designed to compete with university writing centers, but to compliment them.

“Hello Essay was created to offer writing/ESL centers a safe place to send students who require assistance beyond the center’s time or availability,” Homer said via email.

Providing an ethical option for students feeling the pressure of a deadline is one of the main goals of Hello Essay, Homer said. 

“It leaves these students with a sense of urgency that can lead them to plagiarize, purchase essays, use ‘essay mills’ or seek expensive and/or unethical outside assistance,” Homer said of those that resort to academic dishonesty. 

Luckily, Hello Essay is a far more reliable, honest resource for students. 

Standard edits, which cost $39, include checking the style consistency of the essay, making suggestions on sentence construction, correcting formatting errors, and proofreading the essay. 

The app also provides necessary feedback. Premium edits bump the price up to $59 and include three additional types of feedback, including suggestions on organization and structure to enhance the flow and the general presentation of the essay. 

An editor will also recommend strategies to improve the overall clarity and effectiveness of the essay’s central message. 

The app also provides a “Hello Assessment,” offering information and advice regarding the essay’s strengths and weaknesses.

Two delivery options are available for users — “standard delivery,” which promises edits in a 72-hour window and a “rush” option that delivers edits in 24-hours or less for an additional $40.  

While this may seem pricy, it’s important to remember that the Rutgers Writing Center on the College Avenue campus offers free essay critiques, but other students, not professionals, will most likely do these. 

Meet Patel

Tyler Gold