Hermann awards Flood two-year contract extension

Following two wins to start the 2014 Rutgers football season, it looks like head coach Kyle Flood has done enough to convince Rutgers Athletic Director Julie Hermann that he is the man to lead the Scarlet Knights for the foreseeable future.

Hermann announced yesterday a two-year contract extension through February 2019 for Flood, which includes a salary increase for the third-year head coach.

“Kyle Flood is a tremendous coach for our football team and has earned the opportunity to lead us into the Big Ten and build on our program successes,” Hermann said in a statement. “We are pleased to invest in our head coach and our entire staff at a level more consistent with our Big Ten peers.”

The contract ranges from $950,000 to $1.55 million while Flood’s buyout clause increases to $1.4 million, according to ESPN. 

Flood entered the season as the lowest-paid head coach in the Big Ten, earning $950,000. 

The raise puts Flood’s salary in the same company of every other Big Ten head coach, with each of them earning at least $1 million, according to the USA Today’s annual report of college football coaches’ salaries. 

With a career head coaching record of 17-11 at Rutgers, Flood’s future with the Knights was in question following a disappointing 6-7 record last year, which included a 2-6 finish in their final eight games.

But with Rutgers University President Robert L. Barchi approving and signing the contract yesterday morning, Flood looks like he’s here to stay. 

“Coach Flood exemplifies our University’s standards and values both on and off the field,” Barchi said in a statement. “He has put together a strong coaching staff that supports our mission to compete well both in the classroom and on the field.”

Sean Stewart