Local efforts to address issues of hunger need more work, awareness

I have been learning more and more about the issues of hunger in the New Brunswick area and in America in general. People will stand on the sides of the road with signs desperately asking for food in exchange for work. Should these people always be blown off? I beg to differ. I believe we can open a local store that operates seven days a week. The food we sell there can be food that farmers don’t sell to larger grocery stores because they are slightly discolored or misshapen. We could also go to local grocery stores and ask to purchase salvaged canned foods to stock this store.

The way the store would work is that people who are in need of food and have no money would come to the store, put in as many hours as they would like, and in exchange for, let’s say, one hour of work, would get a couple heads of lettuce and some tomatoes. This will in turn create a strong community, as people will be helping each other and also gaining some work ethic. The motivation is all in eliminating that hunger from innocent people who are willing to work.

It’s important to get the word out on the severity of the issue of low-income families not being able to afford food, and what we are trying to do to better our local community. Everyone deserves a chance and I believe this is a beautiful idea. We can make a difference.

Elizabeth Gray is a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior majoring in economics.

Elizabeth Gray