7 Reasons ​Why You Should Live on as Many Campuses as Possible During Your Time At Rutgers

ib_campus_cac_jay

The gym located conveniently on College Ave gives students a healthy alternative to relieving stress in between, or after a long day of classes.

1. For those who live for convenience:

Rutgers is special for many reasons, one being the fact that our campus is spread out on five sub-campuses. On top of that, a lovely bus system can take you between campuses, avoiding annoying parking tickets or the pain of walking for hours. No matter where you live, you can get to your classes and see your friends as long as the buses are running. So don’t be a bum and make excuses for skipping your night class on Busch, and don’t be a bad friend to your friends on Cook and tell them that they live “too far” for you to visit.

2. For the studious ones: 

Let’s get real: Who came to Rutgers hearing or just assuming that it’s a party school? This student body has plenty of studious members. Sometimes, that girl you heard screaming on College Avenue last night after throwing back shots maintains her A average in honors organic chemistry during the week, and she deserves a quiet place to get work done. Thankfully, you can choose from many libraries and student spaces on every campus. From the many areas available in Alexander Library to the comfy sofas on the second floor of the Douglass Student Center, you’ll definitely find great study spots everywhere you go. 

Photo:

Livingston Ave offers eye-catching architecture such as the business school with glass exterior and complex structures.

Photo:

The Library of Science and Medicine serves as a great study spot for whenever the popular library spots on different campuses become too crowded.

3. For the foodies: 

Another great thing about the multiple campuses at Rutgers is the multiple dining halls. Each has its quirks and specialties that are definitely worth checking out. Busch Dining Hall has many sections of seating to choose from, and depending on the time, arguably the best fried rice. Livingston Dining Commons, the shiniest and newest dining hall, has many great cook-to-order options including burgers, pasta and stir-fry. Neilson Dining Hall has the best smoothies and perhaps the calmest atmosphere. And finally, the notorious Brower Dining Commons is nonetheless appreciated for its fried food options, large ice cream selection and, in my personal opinion, the best waffle iron. Dang, don’t they all sound great? And I won’t even start on the student centers, restaurant options and local cafes located on or near each campus!

4. For the introverts:

Sometimes, we need to be alone and recharge with some peace and quiet. Having a roommate or even just having a lot of friends might make this difficult. So, thank goodness each campus has great spots to go for walks without the worry of running into any familiar faces. The nature preserve next to Livingston, the small park by the Johnson Apartments on Busch, the classroom courtyards and parks on the College Avenue campus and pretty much anywhere on Cook and Douglass campuses are all fairly secluded outdoor areas good for taking a nice morning stroll or a soothing night walk. While Cook clearly ranks above the other campuses in this category, you still have many little nooks everywhere that are worth exploring and claiming for when you have these moments. 

5. For those looking for love:

Calling all single ladies and gentlemen looking for that special someone: the handsome future doctor, the classy future businesswoman, the quirky future engineer or the future indie singer disguised as an English major. Here’s a hint: The one you are looking for is most likely spending most of his or her class time on one campus. You might want to consider living where there’s a higher chance of encountering this person throughout the day. Don’t be a creep about it, but plan out your hall area strategically so that you end up on a long REXB ride together or on the same elevator in Livingston Apartment C. Hopefully along the way you’ll do some maturing and realize that whatever you thought you wanted really isn’t for you. This is just an idea to help you get there sooner.

6. For those trying to be good upperclassmen:

Fine, no one is really trying to go out of the way to help confused first-year students. You had to learn things the hard way, and so do they. But maybe the fall semester wouldn’t be as hectic if we helped those less knowledgeable than us. Remember when you came in your first year, excited to reinvent yourself as the cool guy or cute hipster girl on your floor in Perry Hall? But at the same time, you had no idea where Tillet Hall was or how to get there. Hopefully by sophomore year you knew which buses to take, when to take them and where you were going at all times. However, if you stay in your bubble on Cook all the time, you will become first-year you again and again, asking for directions, risking getting trampled at the bus stop and standing around awkwardly with a tray of food at the Livingston Dining Commons during the dinner rush because you just didn’t know any better. Changing up your living area will automatically get you closer to being that hot, confident upperclassmen who always knows what’s up. 

7. For those who don’t know what they’re missing: 

You have at least four years here. Eat and party on College Avenue, hang out at Livingston, study at Busch and enjoy the scenery on Douglass. And then move to all these places, and put your own personal twist on what makes each of them so awesome.

Kate Kim