Spotlight: Zimmerli Arts Museum—“Art After Hours”

ib_zimmerli_after_dark_dennis

Red Oak Lane, a New Brunswick based band, perform classical jazz music at Zimmerli Art Museum "Art After Hours."

On a college campus where students are constantly searching for activities to unwind from their busy schedules, museums and art shows are surprisingly underrated.

The Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum offers a special exhibit on the first Tuesday of the month called “Art After Hours.” The event, which runs from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., offers free admission, refreshments and a mini bar section for those over 21.

The inside of the museum is remarkably relaxing, complemented by live classical jazz music performed by Red Oak Lane, a New Brunswick based band.

There are guided tours offered for the exhibit “A Place in America: Celebrating the Legacy of Ralph and Barbara Voorhees,” and all the features of the new fall exhibits are open to the public.

Photo:

Red Oak Lane performs classical jazz style music for visitors at Zimmerli Art Museum "Art After Hours."

The activities don’t end there: In celebration of the Scarlet Knights’ entry into the Big Ten, the museum highlights one work of art every month for 10 months. This month, it was “Sandwich and Soda” by Roy Lichtenstein.

As for the live music, there will be a variety of musicians from the Mason Gross School of Arts and New Brunswick Jazz Project over the coming months.

“Art After Hours” is a great way end to the evening. The echoes of drums and bass guitar throughout the museum, accompanied by the spacious, upscale environment, make for a fun and refreshing experience.

Natalie Lin