Beware: haunting Halloween makeup, nail art tutorials

ib_nail_art_dennis

Boy or girl, if you’re looking to go above and beyond with your Halloween make-up this year, it’s easy to grab a couple standard make-up bag staples and create a rad skeleton look.  

To complete the look, you’ll need a very basic, affordable set of tools: 

• Black liquid eyeliner
  • Black pencil eyeliner 
  • Black eye shadow 
  • White face paint/soft pencil
  • Eyeshadow brush 

Step One (optional): 

Apply a thin, even layer of foundation matching skin tone to even out the color.

Photo:

Step Two: 

• Create the outline of your look by using the black pencil eyeliner to draw guides.  Draw (preferably in this order): 
  • An upward-pointing triangle over your nose 
  • Large circles around your eyes (connected by your eyebrows)
  • Straight horizontal lines coming out from the sides of your lips (if it helps, suck in your cheeks to see where the line should be
  • Straight, vertical lines over your lips and slightly on to your cheeks (for the teeth) 
  • A pinched parenthesis shape open toward your ear by your temporal bone on both sides

Step Three: 

Draw an arrowhead shape by the last “tooth” on both sides of your cheeks and connect it to the cup with a thin line.  

Step Four: 

Furrow your brow and follow the natural creases on your forehead lightly with the pencil.  

Step Five: Fill in the nose, eyes, arrowhead and pinched parenthesis with black eye shadow.

Step Six: 

Shade around the forehead, cheekbones, nose and lips to your liking to add depth to the outline.  Expand the arrowhead to connect it to the top three outer teeth.

Step Seven: 

Use white to lightly fill in the teeth.

This Halloween, these unique DIY nail designs will have you looking spooky from head to fingertip. 
You’ll need: 
  • Nail polish, as many colors as possible (For these designs, you’ll want green, black and white.) 
  • Glitter or glitter nail polish (Green, if possible)
  • Nail art pens or polishes with thin brushes (For designs)
  • Toothpick or precision tool
  • Cotton balls
  • Nail polish remover
  • Top coat (clear nail polish)
Everyone’s seen your classic orange-and-black, candy corn or spider web nail art. Go one step scarier with this Frankenstein-inspired look. 
1. Paint your nails with two coats of your base color green. 
2. Designate one nail and paint it with just green glitter as a highlight — it creates a nice accent. Wait for the base coats and glitter to dry.
3. Use a black nail art pen (or a regular brush, if you’re talented) and draw a zigzag toward the top of the nails that are going to have a Frankenstein design. (You can choose two of your nails to have the design or even all of them). Be as precise as possible and fill in the top of the zigzag with black polish to create Frankenstein’s hair. 
4. With a thin brush, create two white spots that just barely bleed into each other underneath the black hair — these will really make Frankenstein’s eyes pop. Wait until the white spots are completely dry before going on to the next step. 
5. For Frankenstein’s eyes, carefully place a black dot in the middle of the white spots. You can use a toothpick dipped in black nail polish or a small dab of a nail art pen.
6. Use your black nail art pen to draw a slightly diagonal line beneath the eyes for Frankenstein’s mouth. Don’t forget the vertical lines through his mouth for his stitches. 
7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for all the nails that have a Frankenstein design.
8. Wait at least five minutes for all your layers to dry. This step is especially important. You can use a blow dryer, immerse your nails in cold water or blow on them. 
9. After your nails are completely dry, apply one layer of clear top coat to seal your design and give it shine. Wait to dry. 

Michelle Klejmont

Natalie Lin