Rutgers does time warp again at ‘Rocky Horror’ showing

banner_ib_rocky_horror_dennis_2

The Rocky Horror Picture Show at Rutgers Cinema featured a variety of live performances and gave audiences the chance to participate with the cast during each set.

In a time when people often watch movies on Netflix, live performances of said films have gained a sense of novelty. 

This past weekend, the Friday Nite Specials Cast of Aberdeen, New Jersey, returned to Rutgers for its live performance of a racy Halloween classic “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Rutgers Cinema on Livingston campus. 

The show featured live acting and audience participation. The cast performed several comedy sketches before launching into its rendition of “Rocky Horror,” including rap battles between the infamous movie characters, a costume contest among the several costumed audience members and other games with volunteers from the audience.  

Although the show attracted a crowd of mature college students who, for the most part, had never witnessed a live performance of “Rocky Horror,” there was no shortage of willing hands that shot into the air when cast members called for participants.

Photo:

Photo:

A sense of acute attention to detail permeated the performance and its many components. Attendees received show prop bags with items like rice, toilet paper and glow sticks, which they threw or waved around during certain scenes in the movie. 

From the actors’ elaborate costumes being ripped from the seam to their rapid pacing, the cast members demonstrated their devotion to providing audience members with the satisfaction of viewing a creative, authentic portrayal of the film. 

Audience “virgins,” as they call those who have never been to the show, expressed their enjoyment and said they would return to the show. 

Cast member and show producer Ryan Wilson, who plays the part of Brad Majors, described the production experience as very “rewarding.” 

Wilson emphasized his enjoyment in not only spreading the word about “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” but also in collaborating with fellow cast members and Rutgers to make the performances possible. 

Wilson described himself to be a long-time fan of the picture show. He said his involvement with “Rocky Horror” could be traced back to his early high school years. 

Wilson, who has been performing in Aberdeen since 2004, has seen many sold-out shows but was surprised at how quickly the Rutgers Cinema showing sold out this year. 

“This year, the show sold out while I was sleeping,” he said.

Wilson and the cast members plan to return to the Rutgers Cinema in February to perform “Rocky Horror” again for those who missed their chance to see the show in October. 

The cast also intends to return to Rutgers in October of 2015 and hinted at new forms of pre-show entertainment that will be added for future performances. 

Overall, the Friday Nite Specials Cast celebrates live performances of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” while also instilling a spookily successful Halloween tradition for Rutgers students to indulge in at the Rutgers Cinema for years to come.

Rachel Narozniak