Rutgers hosts first home invite under new coach

p15_womens_golf_clark_file_photo_oct_2013
Photo by File Photo |

Sophomore Taylor Clark and the Knights will tee off in their fall invitational this weekend at the Rutgers Invitational played in Piscataway on Busch campus.

The stage is set for the Rutgers women’s golf team Friday and Saturday at the annual Rutgers Invitational. The Rutgers golf course, a 6,300 yard, par 71 course, will host a competitive group of 17 universities and colleges. 

In this year’s tournament, the Scarlet Knights host Saint John’s, Quinnipiac, Albany, Penn, Sacred Heart, Monmouth, Wagner, Dartmouth, St. Francis, Lehigh, St. Francis-Brooklyn, Fairleigh Dickinson, Hofstra, Long Island, Central Connecticut State and Fairfield in the 36-hole event.

Unfortunately, weather conditions are stealing the headlines for the highly anticipated weekend of golf. Weather forecasts predict cold temperatures — overcast on Friday and morning showers on Saturday. 

Nonetheless, Rutgers remains confident entering the weekend.

“I feel like I have a competitive advantage over my opponents this weekend. I am really confident with how I am playing right now, and knowing the course as well as I do is definitely adding to that confidence level,” said junior Gabrielle Sachelli. “I know the ins and outs of the course, and I feel like it’s just about playing my game. … The overall positivity from the team is great, and I think the mindset we have right now will enable us to reach our potential and win.” 

Sachelli’s upperclassman leadership will be vital to the success of the Knights this weekend. After an ugly start at the St. John’s Invitational, Sachelli said she now realizes the importance of attention to detail, maintaining focus and consistency with each stroke.

“What I would really like to improve this weekend is staying focused on the shot at hand instead of the outcome. That in itself will help me shoot lower,” she said. “I think the only thing that I am going into this weekend thinking about is fairways and greens. It’s easier to make par when you hit close approach shots, so I’m going to be paying close attention to every shot I take.”

Despite poor weather forecasts, the Knights remain confident.

The Rutgers golf course poses minimal threats, Sachelli said.

“The greens may pose a challenge because they’re not always consistent, but paying close attention to my playing partners and how their putts roll will really help me,” she said.

The long awaited arrival of the Rutgers Invitational is finally over for first-year head coach Kari Williams. Williams is excited about many things this weekend in her inaugural season as coach. 

“Playing at home on our own course … I am looking forward to seeing all the players get a chance to compete, and I want to see us win the event, which we can do with five solid scores each day,” Williams said.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alex Nazzaro