Student government projects student voice

Throughout history, there has been a struggle for a voice to be heard, for feedback to be taken into consideration. Calls to action were made to make those two things happen. At Rutgers University, we have many systems in place that are trying to further the shared governance principle and administrators who are in place to take feedback into consideration and to hear the student voice. The Rutgers University Student Assembly — your student government — has representatives for every class year, from every school and campus and even student senate representation. RUSA meets every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Activities Center on the College Avenue campus, and this is one of the best locomotives to have your concerns heard and addressed. Anyone is welcome to attend and give feedback. Furthermore, there are student senators who can bring your concerns even further to the University senate. At the University senate, students have representation, and so do faculty, staff members, professors and all members of the Rutgers community. Each committee in RUSA and the University senate has certain charges or tasks that they are working on, and student feedback is critical. For instance, the committee I sit on, the University Structure and Governance Committee, is currently looking at charges that examine the senate election procedure, the mergers procedure and the commencement speaker procedures for future cycles. I would love to have student feedback to bring to the committee meetings. Beyond these meetings, we also understand that students may be busy on Thursday nights at 7:30 p.m. or may not be able to attend senate meetings — but RUSA holds office hours on Thursdays and Fridays and is very responsive to phone calls and e-mails. Contact information for RUSA and the University senate can be found at ruassembly.com and senate.rutgers.edu, respectively. Make your voice heard and make sure your feedback is taken into consideration. At Rutgers University, the struggle begins when your voices are heard, the student empowerment continues when you get more involved, and the student body is seldom ignored when the students united begin to participate in shared governance on the “Banks of the Old Raritan.”

Jacob Shulman is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in political science with a minor in economics.

Jacob Shulman