WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

TRAYLESS SUCCESS

All but one of the dining halls on campus have completely done away with trays in an effort to conserve energy and reduce food waste. So far, it seems the move was worth it, and despite the annoyance expressed by some students (including some very conflicting opinions from our own editorial board) the goals of the change are actually being met. Not only are we saving water and energy, but the lack of trays is also encouraging healthier and more restrained eating habits that eliminate a lot of unnecessary waste. We laurel the dining halls for sticking to an initially unpopular decision and helping to shape positive change on campus. 

STINGY STATE

While we’ve acknowledged — however begrudgingly — that the exorbitant amount of money being spent on the Athletic Department is likely a good investment for the future of our University, we’re definitely not happy about the huge toll it’s taking in the form of increasing student fees. The state has always been stingy about funding higher education (it only contributes 21 percent of the total $3.6 billion budget) — but we especially dart them for it now. With the exceptional financial strain as Rutgers starts up in the Big Ten, we need the extra help even more now than ever. 

YEAH, SCIENCE!

Our Athletic Department might be Big, but our research departments are even bigger. Rutgers has a history of momentous advances in scientific research, including the discovery of streptomycin (the first cure for tuberculosis) right here on Busch campus in 1943. That legacy is still going strong. Rutgers students are currently in talks with pharmaceutical companies to advance their product, which is an agent to clear biological tissues that can be extremely helpful for research purposes. We laurel these students for their hard work and valuable contributions to science.

STOP, DROP AND FOLLOW RULES

According to the latest Rutgers-Eagleton poll, one-third of New Jersey residents do not have the adequate fire safety devices installed in their homes. The three required devices include a smoke detector, fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector — but most homes are missing the carbon monoxide detector or the fire extinguisher (and in some cases, both). We dart the alarmingly lax attitude toward fire safety — it’s one of the first things we all learned as kids, and we need to make sure we’re taking the simple steps needed to make sure we’re equipped in the event of a fire.

STUDENTS FOR CHANGE

As college students, we are getting an education that is supposed to help us become informed, thoughtful and participatory citizens. But sometimes it can be hard to find ways we can make meaningful changes as students, besides engaging in debate and discussion. The newly created “Rutgers Peacemakers” is an organization that aims to mobilize the student community by working together to address local policy issues and communicate directly with local government. We laurel the ambitious effort to help students become more actively involved on a local level to make an impact on a global scale.

SKETCHY STRIKE OUT  

Word is that a top administrative official with a salary of $200,000 was suddenly and quietly fired from the University. James Kohl has been working with the University since 1999, but the reasons for his abrupt dismissal have not yet been released by the administration. Kohl was in charge of overseeing transportation services, the Rutgers University Police Department and many other operations across the Newark, Camden and New Brunswick campuses. We dart the shady circumstances surrounding his departure, and we hope the University clears it up soon.