Different types of shoppers you’ll encounter on Black Friday

ib_black_friday_edwin

Photo Illustration | As the most anticipated shopping day of the year, Black Friday brings out all types of shoppers. Make sure you know how to spot and avoid each one to get the most out of your shopping day.

Merely hours after the turkey has been carved and the thanks have been given, another “holiday” demands to be recognized. This event, which prompts people to excuse themselves from family reunions in favor of dashing out to the nearest shopping mall, is Black Friday. If your post-Thanksgiving plans include participating in the Black Friday shopping craze for the first time or heading out as an annual tradition, trust Inside Beat to familiarize you with the different types of Black Friday shoppers you might encounter at your favorite stores this holiday season.

The Seasoned Pro 

Identified by her place in line outside any given store (which is always first), a carefully cut mountain of coupons in hand and the occasional mumbling of “this ain’t my first rodeo,” this one is the seasoned pro. Marked by years of Black Friday shopping experience, the seasoned pro can effortlessly navigate the parking lot and find the store aisle she is looking for without a glance at the aisle sign. Somewhat ruthless and definitely determined, expect a sharp honk of the horn or a gruff “excuse me” if you happen to linger in her path a second too long.

The College Student

Long live discounted ramen and toilet paper! The college student battles the brutal November weather in a hoodie emblazoned with his school’s bold logo and chooses a hand basket instead of a shopping cart in an effort to keep the purchase volume low. This shopper can be heard lamenting his bank account balance, which just may be lower than his school’s football record.

The Family 

Easier to spot than the sale signs that paper the walls is the family. Even if you don’t see them, you can locate them by hearing the high-pitched crying of their children when denied an item and an argument between the parents. Always rolling up “squad deep” to each individual aisle, their motto seems to be “no one left behind.”

The First-timer 

Trusting and innocent, the first-timer is befuddled when her friendly smiles and attempts at small talk in the line outside a store, which are met with grimaces from her competition. She discusses the items she’s come for with anyone in earshot and overzealously repeats, “Yeah, this is my first time doing this.” She learns the hard way that manners are nonexistent on Black Friday, when she is nearly trampled at the store’s opening by the “friends” she made outside.

The Fighter 

The aisle he enters is his territory, and he glares at each shopper who happens to lock eyes with him. He pushes, shoves and chuckles to himself when he takes the last item from the shelf, but all humor is lost when someone else grabs what’s “rightfully his.” As intimidation may just inspire the other shopper to surrender the item, he claims he “saw it first” and cordially invites his competition to step outside with him.

The “Celebrity”

Recognized by incessant foot-tapping, heavy sighs and obnoxiously loud complaints about the wait for a register, the “celebrity” lets everyone around her know she is far too special to have to wait in line. Oddly enough, no paparazzi are present to witness the scene and post it in tomorrow’s tabloid. What luck! But no autographs, please.

While “Black Friday” may be antonymous to peaceful, it certainly does not have to be. Keep these shopper descriptions in mind to know who to avoid this Black Friday, so it can truly be the best Friday. 

Rachel Narozniak