Laurels and Darts: Week in Review

THINK PINK

At the Werblin Recreation Center, more than 450 students split into 50 different teams to play volleyball at the “Big Pink Volleyball Tournament.” The tournament was organized by Rutgers Residence Life with help from Rutgers Recreation in order to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. We laurel the tournament for raising $3,145 in fees and donations for breast cancer.

COMMUNICATION CONTROL 

There has been an unacceptable level of miscommunication between students and the University administration lately, and tensions are extremely high. A recent student petition to address specific administrative changes to commencement was riddled with misinformation, demonstrating the extent of the divide between students and administrative decisions. This dart goes to an ongoing lack of open, transparent communication between the administration and students

CHUMMY CHANCELLOR

The lack of communication between the administration and students has been frustrating, to say the least, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way. Students have been protesting the lack of accessibility for a long time, so it’s good to see that steps are being taken to address the issue. New Brunswick Chancellor Richard L. Edwards held an open meeting with students yesterday and will continue to hold open office hours. While it’s not a perfect solution, we laurel the effort — it’s an important step forward.

SLACKING STATE

Most undergraduates are feeling the tight clutch of student debt, so it doesn’t help that our own institution is ranked as having the 5th highest in-state tuition and fees in the nation. Furthermore, the public colleges in New Jersey collectively rank as 18th in the nation for student debt load. We dart the University as well as the state for its tuition rates.

INTERNATIONAL LOVE

In a University that prides itself in diversity, it’s important to maintain inclusivity and cultural literacy. These past few days, Rutgers held the 15th annual International Education Week, a joint initiative between the United States Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education. The timing of this year’s IEW is perfectly fitting since Rutgers has been recognized as one of four institutions to receive the 2014 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization. We laurel the University’s ambition for greater cultural education.

DOWN WITH DEBT

The costs of a college education are painfully high, yet no matter how many bills are proposed, it seems like nothing is actually being done to ease the financial burden, and we’re still paying much more than we should. This is especially upsetting for us at Rutgers, a public university that should be getting stronger support from the state. This dart goes to the lack of action being taken to support students in New Jersey.