April 19, 2019 | 73° F

Laurels and Darts: Week in Review

JERSEY ROOTS

We’ve been pretty hard on Rutgers administration lately, but we have a laurel for the University this week. This week, Rutgers announced new programs at Atlantic County Community College as part of its partnership that allows students to earn four-year Rutgers degrees. We laurel Rutgers for remaining true to its commitment to its “Jersey roots” through its programs with community colleges that enhance accessibility to higher education throughout the state.

YELLOW JOURNALISM 

Rutgers turned up for Halloweekend last week, but not as much as a certain media outlet would like you to believe. New Brunswick Today broke a story this week titled “RWJ hospital reportedly ran out of beds as alcohol overdoses overwhelmed Hub City responders,” but according to a statement from the hospital itself, this was not actually the case — 12 patients that were intoxicated were admitted, and all of them were released by morning. This dart goes to the newspaper for blowing things out of proportion for absolutely no reason. 

ART FOR ALL

Admission to the Zimmerli Art Museum has always been free for Rutgers students, but a new admissions policy allows all museum attendees to visit without an entry fee. This museum is one of the largest and one of the most prominent university-based museums in the country, boasting approximately 60,000 artifacts. We laurel the Zimmerli Art Museum for its shift to a more inclusive policy, removing barriers for many low-income families.

PROBLEMATIC PROFESSOR

Last semester, there was some controversy surrounding the potential addition of Peter Ludlow to Rutgers faculty after the professor was accused of sexual assault by one of his students. Rutgers eventually decided against hiring Ludlow, but now that his trial is over, he is suing the student for defamation, claiming that she cost him the position at Rutgers. It’s a pretty shady situation, and we dart the culture that continues to blame and distrust victims of sexual violence.

POLITICS ON POLITICS ON POLITICS

The Eagleton Institute of Politics hosted its bi-annual “Morning After: Grading the Midterm Elections” event this week. It’s become a popular tradition, relied on as a source of comprehensive analysis and discussion of election results. Eagleton has always been an excellent resource for students, and we laurel the Institute for continuing to provide programming, events and informational resources that help keep our student body politically involved and informed.

DIVERSITY MATTERS

According to a new study conducted by a professor and a doctoral candidate from the Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, there is a lack of diversity in the New Jersey charter school demographics. Recent findings show that these schools are not taking in the percentage of students they should. We dart the New Jersey charter school system for an unrepresentative student body, possessing a disproportionately small group of students with learning disabilities, limited English proficiency and low socioeconomic status.