Rutgers exchanges leads before pulling away from SEC foe

p14_tyler_scaife_edwin

Sophomore guard Tyler Scaife led Rutgers with 16 points at LSU. Three other Knights finished with double-figure scoring.

Traveling down to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, for its first road game of the season, the No. 22 Rutgers women’s basketball team was put to the test. 

It took 15 lead changes and eight ties, but the end result culminated in a 64-57 win by the Scarlet Knights over the Tigers at the Maravich Center on Saturday afternoon.

Rutgers (3-0) separated itself from LSU (2-3) on a 9-0 run with 6:41 remaining in the game, holding a four-point lead and extending it to a 61-48 cushion.

After the Knights took a 32-27 lead into halftime, the Tigers opened up their only lead of the second half with an 8-2 run at the start of the period.

With Rutgers trailing 35-34 with 16:37 left, junior guard Briyona Canty knocked down two free throws, and the Knights led the rest of the way.

LSU came within four points of Rutgers after a free throw from guard Jenna Deemer and layup by guard Akilah Bethel. That was when the Knights went on their 9-0 run, with senior wing Betnijah Laney scoring four points on a jumper and layup.

Four different Knights dropped double-digit scoring performances, with sophomore guard Tyler Scaife leading the way with 16 points. She has led the Knights in scoring in each game this season.

Laney recorded her third consecutive double-double of the season with 10 points and a career-best 16 rebounds.

Junior center Rachel Hollivay and Canty both added in 13 points.

No LSU starter scored double figures, while guard DeShawn Harden scored a team-high 15 points off the bench, including four 3-pointers.

Rutgers travels to Staten Island next for its second road game of the season against Wagner College on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Dating back to last season’s WNIT championship run, Rutgers currently holds the nation’s longest active winning streak at nine games.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.