Rutgers community grieves death, injury of students

Darsh Patel, a Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences senior from Edison, New Jersey, was killed in a bear attack on Sept. 21 while hiking with four friends in the Apshawa Preserve in West Milford Township.

His friends called the police, who discovered Patel’s body at around 5:54 p.m., according to nj.com. 

The black bear in question was found and euthanized, said West Milford Police Chief Timothy Storbeck, according to the article. The reason for why the bear attacked remains unknown. 

On Oct. 4, Timothy McDonnell, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore from Holmdel, New Jersey, fell into a coma after being struck by a vehicle on Easton Avenue. 

The driver was Michael Schenck, 30, from Somerset, who was heading eastbound on Easton Avenue when his car hit McDonnell near Olde Queens Tavern, according to a press release from the New Brunswick Police Department.

After 25 days in critical care at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, McDonnell awakened and was transferred to the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange, The Asbury Park Press reported. 

McDonnell is still unable to talk and could only move his left foot and hand as he began speech and physical rehabilitation, according to the article. 

“It’s hard to watch your son struggle like he struggles, and he doesn’t know you or anybody. … After those first few days, we didn’t think he was going to live, so everything from here on is a plus,” Tim McDonnell, his father, said in the article.

The last tragedy occurred on the morning of Oct. 21, when the body of Paul Kim, a 20-year-old School of Arts and Sciences junior from Fairview, New Jersey, was found washed up in the Hudson River in New York City, according to nj.com.

His bicycle had been spotted on the George Washington Bridge, and people alerted authorities, according to the article.

The cause of death remains unknown. A source in the article said it appeared to be a suicide. 

Friends described Kim as “genuine” and “funny,” according to a previous article in The Daily Targum. His older brother, Christopher Kim, honored the memory of his brother on Twitter. 

“To my little brother, my best friend, Paul J. Kim,” he tweeted on Oct. 22. “[I love you], man. Rest in Paradise [with] grandma.”

Lin Lan